TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

View Single Post

Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:52 AM   #3609
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manixdk View Post
The drop in her level of play has much to do with the rise in the level of other players. And other players began to suss out her patterns. Now she has to raise the ante. There are many encouraging signs: a vastly improved serve, where she now is winning more easy points, and where she's following aggressively up on it. She's going to the net much better now. She's getting much better at doing it at the right time. She occasionally trusts her forehand, makes the right grip change and hits off her front foot. But it's still not instinctive, and if she's just a bit rushed, she reverts to her old style and hits loopers. That's what happened against Pavs.

She still doesn't see her openings often enough. She'll always be a counterpuncher, but she has yet to learn how to be an aggressive one, jumping at the first opportunity to pressurize her opponent.

She's getting there, though, and, like I said, practice and matches.
I moved this here to keep things on topic.

Regarding her serve, what do you make of her pattern of being broken on her first service game of the match? That probably happens in every other match that she plays. Against "lesser" opponents it may not be a huge problem but it is never good to start from behind right out of the gate. I haven't done any analysis into when it actually happens but it seems like against higher ranked players it happens less often which maybe suggests that she is having trouble staying focused in the early rounds.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!