TennisForum.com - View Single Post - General discussion thread

View Single Post

Old Aug 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1098
country flag JJ ismyname

JJ ismyname is just really nice JJ ismyname is just really nice JJ ismyname is just really nice JJ ismyname is just really nice JJ ismyname is just really nice JJ ismyname is just really nice JJ ismyname is just really nice JJ ismyname is just really nice JJ ismyname is just really nice JJ ismyname is just really nice JJ ismyname is just really nice
Re: General discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigam View Post
I watched the final and really enjoyed it.
It was refreshing to hear Carlos' approach at the oncourt coaching, telling her (from what I heard from others and myself)
- to play more patiently and hit higher deeper forehands, less hard, less flat
- telling her how exactly to return (mix up body and dtl)

- telling her "if you are a champion, you will take this match"

His tactics didn't immediately help, but LI kept focus and it started to pay off.

LI NA is imho a bit JU like, in the sense, that I always feel like she is actually quite a smart person, and that makes her a dumb player sometimes. In tennis, sometimes it's easier (short term) to be a bit "oblivious" and "dumb" I think.
She also has the ability (like JU) to get "zoned in", when confident, and to really dominate thanks to shot making ability.
The serve (imo) is worse than JU's, and of course, she has less "weapons" (variety) than JU

Hope the collaboration keeps working! It's gotten me interested again
Pigam

You watched the final and listened to what Carlos said to Na? Did he tell her not to be so aggressive? Did he tell her to play percentage tennis, especially on the ros?

The reason I am curious about this is because I am thinking of the advice he gave Justine when she made her return. Didn't he say she needed to be more aggressive. Wasn't that the reason she started hitting her returns of serve so aggressively (most of them going out) and trying to become a ballbasher?

Do you think now in hindsight he realises what he told Justine was a mistake?

Just kind of hit a chord with me really. I'll be taking more of an interest in Li Na from now on.
JJ ismyname is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote