TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Masha's worst year

View Single Post

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #24
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future
Re: Masha's worst year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maja12 View Post
If Joyce really himself suggested her to end the coach-pupil relationship and advised her to move on and find another coach, I really really really put my hats off to him. It is a big big big action... And yes, she did need the change, she is aware of that, too.
Yep. I think we don't give Maria's coaching team enough credit, past or present. I mean she's really lucky to have such a dedicated, professional and close-knit team with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
It's strange looking back at her 2010 results in retrospect, because I don't know about anyone else, but at the time it really didn't feel like Maria was doing that badly....I mean she managed to go toe-to-toe with Henin on clay, Serena on grass and Clijsters on hardcourts. I remember, I was barely following tennis towards the end of that year, and I remember being really STUNNED when looked at the rankings and saw she'd dropped out of the top 20, because it felt to me like she was having a lower-top10 standard year.

I definitely think her actual level of tennis between May-August 2010 shits all over anything she produced in 2009, but the crucial difference was that 2010 was the most headcasey year of her career (although she gave it a run for her money with her constant brainfarting in IW/Miami this year, admittedly) whereas in 2009, at tournaments like RG, even though she was playing horrible tennis, she was clutch as hell.
Agree fully to this dsanders. Actually I consider 2011 pretty dire, it's really a case of weak competition that gave her the results.
2009 - clutchpova
2010 - bambipova
2011 - Poova
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote