TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Masha's worst year

View Single Post

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #21
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masha's worst year

It's strange looking back at her 2010 results in retrospect, because I don't know about anyone else, but at the time it really didn't feel like Maria was doing that badly....I mean she managed to go toe-to-toe with Henin on clay, Serena on grass and Clijsters on hardcourts. I remember, I was barely following tennis towards the end of that year, and I remember being really STUNNED when looked at the rankings and saw she'd dropped out of the top 20, because it felt to me like she was having a lower-top10 standard year.

I definitely think her actual level of tennis between May-August 2010 shits all over anything she produced in 2009, but the crucial difference was that 2010 was the most headcasey year of her career (although she gave it a run for her money with her constant brainfarting in IW/Miami this year, admittedly) whereas in 2009, at tournaments like RG, even though she was playing horrible tennis, she was clutch as hell.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote