TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Suzanne Lenglen Career Results

View Single Post

Old Aug 15th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #43
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suzanne Lenglen Career Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
That's good. Indoor tennis is vile. It is against the spirit and history of lawn tennis.

It's disturbing to me how someone has put on Wikipedia that Suzanne Lenglen's World Hard Court Championship wins were Grand Slams. That is historical revisionism at its worst.

I also think that the French National Championship winners from 1891 (mens) should be included as Grand Slam winners. After all, wasn't the early US National Championship operating on the same basis as the French? I.e. open only to members of the national clubs?

The idea of the Grand Slam is to hold the national championships of Australia, France, United Kingdom and United States at the same time. We should never forget that.
Actually the World Hard Court Championships was considered the superior tournament to the French Championships because all the top players usually competed there. The French was closed to foreigners till 1925. The WHCC was a major event of that time, therefore, I think, Suzanne deserves those wins to count as slam wins. She would have defeated all those players in Paris anyway.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote