TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Serve and Volley-40's tennis

View Single Post

Old Aug 8th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #127
country flag Joseph Hunt

Joseph Hunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Serve and Volley-40's tennis

Hello Pike,

Thank you for your message. I am not very adept with blogging and am just learning how to use this website, so it appears that a message I posted to go to you did not work and that you never received it. I'm sorry about that. I will try to re-write some of the post. I also remember meeting Beau as a child in Northern California when she was in a nursing home. It is amazing that you also knew that she was known by all of us as B-U. I was too young to have meaningful conversations, but I certainly remember her. I have also met Marian in her later years and her son, Bob and daughter Mimi several times. Marian died several years ago.

I will try to get a copy of the Yoeman book. I never knew that Jacque's first husband was one of Joe's former USC teammates. Wow! that must have been interesting. If Joe married your mother in 1941 (and that sounds right from what I have read) then they were married 4 years (or close to it) as Joe died on February 2, 1945. I have 13 scrapbooks on Joe, which I have poured over through the years. There are a number of pictures of your mom and Joe. She was a beautiful woman. There is one story passed down through the family. Your mom and Joe dated before her first marriage. in 1936, when they were about 18, Joe was playing in the finals of the National Jr. Men's final against a player named John Moreno. Just before the match, he learned that Jacque went into the hospital to have an emergency appendectomy. Apparently, he was so concerned that he ran off the court during the change-overs to call the hospital and find out how she was doing. Needless to say, he could not keep his focus and lost the match! Not to worry though, he came back and won the same tournament the next year.

Do you still live in Florida? I would love to meet you or talk with you about your mother and Joe. And someday I would hope to see your scrapbook. I hope that you keep save it. Did Jacque have any of Joe's trophies? One of my greatest regrets is that we have not been able to find very many, but I have some, including the miniature Davis Cup that he was given for playing on the team with Bobby Riggs, Frank Parker and Jack Kramer. I will also try to get some contact information for Marian's sons. I have not been in touch with any of them and have only met Bob, and that was about 5-6 years ago. Several years ago, I took my family to the International Tennis Hall of Fame. The curator there showed us many old archives of tennis in the 1930-1940's but they were very interested in obtaining our 13 scrapbooks. That never happened, and so I still have all 13 and am trying to figure out how to properly preserve them.

Also, my exact relationship to Joe is that I am his great-nephew. Joe's brother, Charlie Hunt, is my grandfather. My father, Laurason Hunt, obviously named me after his uncle.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Joe
Joseph Hunt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote