Old Aug 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #125
country flag Joseph Hunt

Joseph Hunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Serve and Volley-40's tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Hello Joe

Welcome to the Blast from the Past

The link for the Riggs-Hunt pic is http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ec7...3ec569_landing

I wish I could provide more, but other than the exact link it appears to be a dead end.

Your uncle's tragic early death touched a real chord in many hearts. Have you seen this article by bud Collins in Sports illustrated? This article also mentions Jacque and Pike, who I am happy to see also saw your post.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...8090/index.htm

Please feel welcome to post about your uncle in this space. Several of us would love to know more about him.
dear Rollo,

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum. I will try to provide some information about my great-uncle. Although he died before I was born, I have had the opportunity through the years to meet with Bobby Riggs and Jack Kramer and I have read through about 13 scrapbooks that were put together by his mother, Teresa Raphael Hunt. Joe accomplished a great deal in the sport, even though his career was significantly disrupted by the war years and his service in the Navy. He was projected to be one of the best of his era and Jack Kramer told me that he lost his greatest rival. He said if Joe had not died at age 25, it would have been Jack and Joe battling each other for the top ranking in the world. Joe has a remarkable distinction as being the only player in history to have one every national singles title available beginning with the boys 15 (or 16) and under, having one the 15's, Junior Men's 18's, Intercollegiate, and Men's National Championships. I have some photos I can post if I can figure out how to make them smaller in size. I will work on that.
Joseph Hunt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote