TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Serve and Volley-40's tennis

View Single Post

Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #124
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serve and Volley-40's tennis

Quote:
I got to see Margreat O du Pont play doubles at the East Coast Grass Court Championships, in Orange New Jersey, in the early sixties. She was still a great doubles player and had a great second serve. She put so much spin on the ball that there was sort of a swishing sound when the racket hit the ball. I lived nearby the club and got to see several tope players of that era: BJK, Karen Susman, Margreat Smith, Eda Buding among others. That was an important tune up for Forest Hills back then.
It sure was a big event Thrust. Thanks for sharing that with us. I was lucky enough recently to visit Bellevue, the palatial estate that Margaret And Will Dupont lived on. The grass courts she played on are now clay, but other than that much of the grounds look the same as in her heydey of the 1940s.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote