TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Womens Tennis in General

View Single Post

Old Aug 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #3563
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
They shouldn't. It doesn't matter how other players do they should be concerned about how they did and in both cases they did not do well.
I honestlly don't think they should spend any time at all worrying about it or being concerned. Nor do I think this final with Sharapova getting easily beaten makes any difference at all to how Vika or Caro think. I'm sure they have both just moved on. On Serena's best surface - she was simply miles better this Olympics than anyone else and worrying or being concerned about it when Serena was at her peak on her best surface won't do them any good at all.

Far more important for Caro is to build on her three wins she had and start some winning streaks. If she draws Serena again - don't give her anything and ensure she has to play well to win. But if Serena does play at her best - losing 6-0 6-0 even is just one lost match.

There's a couple of huge problems playing against Serena and I saw them in the today's match:
  1. After taking a barrage I saw Sharapova set herself a golden chance to win a point with Serena at her mercy. She hits it out. That is what a barrage and pressure does to you when you know you have to take this one chance.
  2. You play a couple of outstanding points on Serena's serve. And then she blasts a couple of aces to neutralise your work.
I think on (1) it's about how strong you can be not to crack under a barrage. Everyone will. But it's a question of some players having more resistance than others. On 2. - theres nothing you can do about it. But Serena doesn't play lights out every match. And when she doesn't - you have to be ready.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote