TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Wimbledon

Thread: Wimbledon
View Single Post

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #328
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wimbledon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKiriFan View Post
Evert was also really dismissive of Radwanska back in the Austrialian Open for not having weapons, when she was only 8 seed, and Evert didn't really start pumping Radwanska's tires here until there was a clear patch to the final. Evert clearly was at best a casual fan of the tour before she became a commentator. She doesn't know much else about individual players other than what she sees while watching the top players at Slams and some familiarity with the Williams sisters & Sharapova & Clijsters. She barely acknowledges tennis exists apart from the Slams. I doubt she carries any kind of grudge against Kirilenko.

Pam & Mary Jo at least came around to recognize they were watching a fantastic match with Radwanska. They at least had some respect for her, having remembered her upset of Sharapova in Australia 2010.

Matt Cronin is the one writer who gives Kirilenko due respect for her game, though he still will pick against her more than I like (he was wrong on Peng this event, wrong on McHale in US Open).

I think Chris Evert still has a huge ego and I would not be at all surprised if she held grudges against people for any reason. And yes she does not know tennis like she should since she's a color commentator on TV. She is Chris Evert afterall so she likely thinks she can just show up and say things and people will believe her. As a color commentator she is not at the level of Mary Jo Fernandez and Pam Shriver.

As for Makiri she is getting respect from tennis writers such as Matt Cronin and Jon Wertheim. That is good news.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote