TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Nicole Gibbs

Thread: Nicole Gibbs
View Single Post

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #2
country flag NYKiriFan

NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Nicole Gibbs

Thanks for getting this thread going!

Some links for Nicole: Twitter (Gibbsyyyy),Stanford, ITF, WTA activity, College results, and Zimbio photo stream.

This Stanford Daily interview gives some insight into Nicole. Many GM posters seem to be asking why she's in college at all if she's so good. In her words,
Quote:
I always tell people that I was a giant nerd, and when I was 10 I really wanted to go to Harvard. But then I got good at tennis, and I figured the Ivy League might not allow me to maximize my potential. So I asked my dad which school is best at athletics and academics in the country, and he told me that Stanford was probably my best bet. From age 12 until I committed to come here, I was just head-over-heels with the school, and when I visited I just knew this was the place I wanted to be.
The first time I ever saw Gibbs play was at the Florida@Stanford 2011 NCAA team final. My friends & I sat front row at Court 3 because the 1&2 were packed, and little did we know what we were in for. We just loved her spirit & enthusiasm. That picture in the first post pretty much sums her up. I came back to watch her again for her 2011 NCAA singles semifinal run & BOTW qualifying last year. I wasn't surprised to see her make the 2011 US Open girls semis and then emerge as NCAA's best player this past season.

I'm looking forward to her main draw match in a half hour. I don't much about the Thai player, other than that she was a very successful junior, with a weak serve and good return game. Should be fun.

Last edited by NYKiriFan : Jul 14th, 2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Added Zimbio link, interview
NYKiriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote