TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria's best matches by year

View Single Post

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria's best matches by year

2004: Has to be the Wimbledon final

2005: Maybe the Tokyo final against Davenport? Even though she was super-consistent that year, there were surprisingly few Vintagepova matches.

2006: US Open final. Honourable mention to the win over Clijsters in San Diego.

2007: Even though she lost it, it really has to be the YEC final against Henin.

2008: AO QF against Henin fo sho.

2009: I suppose the match against Stosur in Tokyo (though it's hard to say whether that was just because of how good the match-up was, because she was generally very ragged at that tournament and only won the title on willpower alone ... I think her best TOURNAMENT of the year in terms of level of play was Toronto).

2010: Match against Clijsters in Cincinnati

2011: Win over Wozniacki in Rome

2012: Even though it was "just" Stuttgart, really hard to go against her win over Azarenka there. Honourable mention to win over Woz in Miami - people seem to have forgotten about this because of the misleadingly close scoreline, because of how headcasey she was at that tournament - but when she was focussed, it was her best tennis on hardcourts since the surgery I think.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote