TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Which Grand Slam do you want to be Maria's first #2?

View Single Post

Old Jul 5th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #40
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which Grand Slam do you want to be Maria's first #2?

I don't really think the confidence from this year is sky high yet. I think this gap between OG will allow it to set in though. Considering how well she served in the wind at RG I'm cautiously optimistic about USO this year. However I wouldn't mind her playing Montreal as a lot of the time I've watched it's been quite windy so it may prepare her better. But I know it's not going to happen as it's after OG and Cinci has probably became one of her favourite tournaments considering her results there.

Sometimes I have mixed emotions about Maria's new topspin shots. Because of the sheer pace on a hard court or clay it doesn't really matter but she does need flat shots on grass. Realistically though, I know it's much better given how erratic her play was before 2011. It's just I would love for her to win Wimbledon again. Actually the more I think about it the more I think we're going too much on one performance. She was mentally a little flat, and her game wasn't there. It's not like she's hitting with Rafa/Stosur spin. She still hit's the ball hard enough to succeed on grass if she gets those knees down. I mean other than Lisicki/Pironkova and Paszek there really isn't any lower ranked player who I would consider a threat to Maria, and she would still beat them if she plays her best.

Also, the spin on her shots could help her in USO this year as well. My only concerns for the rest of the season is that Maria has won almost as many matches this year already than in the whole of last year. So I'm hoping this break gives her the mental rest she needs and rests the shoulder.
In terms of Slam success I suppose the two biggest bets right now would be AO and RG. We might not get another Slam this year but I doubt it will be four year before we get the next. More importantly I just hope Maria manages to finish a year injury free for once.

Didn't intend for this post to be as long, it just happens sometimes.