TennisForum.com - View Single Post - On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

View Single Post

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #4109
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
I am not swayed by those arguments It is all about marketability and popularity.

The hard work (if we assume they train equally hard), would then be translated into Usain Bolt being paid less than a 100m female sprinter, because he finishes his heat quicker.

As for training hard. I think the women train as hard as the men. Among women, tennis players train hard, but so do a lot of other athletes, like swimmers. In Denmark the top swimmers are so envious of Caroline, it's off the charts. Every chance they get, they take big swipes at her. One swimmer Jeanette Ottesen (in)famously claimed : "I am bigger than Caroline Wozniacki. She only wins small tournaments". When there's voting among athletes for SPOTY (BT Gold is the local name), the female swimmers vote for each other and awards Caroline 'nil' point.

Anyhoo, I am sure they work hard, but they are effectively on social welfare, as they cannot feed themselves from their chosen profession.

Yes, physically, men are stronger. That's how evolution (or God if you're one of those creationism nutters) has impacted the two genders. Doesn't say anything about entertainment value though, that a man can serve 130mph and women (normally) only about 100mph.

At the end of the day, women's tennis is marketable and popular, so they get equal pay. Women's footballers .... not so much
Well, if you are talking about the best players in the world I think it is fair to say that the men are inarguably superior players. Take Simon and Sharapova. If they played each other Maria would be embarrassed and lucky to win a couple of games. I'm certainly not saying that all men are superior tennis players to all women, Maria would certainly kick my ass all over the court, but the best men are better than the best women.

I do agree with you about entertainment value. Generally I don't get much out of watching ATP matches until the quarters but there are usually at least one or two good WTA matches in each of the first three rounds but I think the quality of the ATP matches are better in the quarters/semis/finals as opposed to the WTA where you often have a random lower ranked player sneaking through and being destroyed when she meets a higher ranked player. Both tours have their flaws and I would love for them to be more like each other. For the WTA to be more predictable and the ATP to be less predictable.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!