TennisForum.com - View Single Post - French Open Ratings

View Single Post

Old Jun 13th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #26
country flag Towanda

Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future
Re: French Open Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcell View Post
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/06 ... inal-flat/

French Open: Rain-Delayed Menís Final Down From Last Year; Womenís Final Flat

Despite being interrupted due to rain, Sundayís French Open Menís Final earned solid numbers for NBC.

Before being rained out, the Rafael Nadal/Novak Djokovic French Open Menís Final drew a 2.4 overnight rating on NBC Sunday morning ó down 8% from Nadal/Federer last year (2.6), but up 50% from Nadal/Soderling in 2010 (1.6).

The complete telecast window on NBC earned a 2.0 overnight rating.

The 2.4 for Sundayís match is tied as the second-highest for the French Open Menís Final since Agassi/Medvedev in 1999 (4.0).

On Saturday, the Maria Sharapova/Sara Errani Womenís Final drew a 1.7 overnight, equaling both Na/Schiavone last year (1.7) and Schiavone/Stosur in 2010 (1.7).

The 1.7 is tied as the second-lowest for the French Open Menís Final since at least 1998. Only the í09 Kuzentsova/Safina final (1.4) drew lower numbers.

So much for all of the recent posts proclaiming Sharapova to be greatest women's tennis icon ever, worshipped and beloved across the entire globe.

There were a few of us on the plethora of Sharapova-is-the-greatest-ever worship threads saying that she is not that well known in the U.S. and is therefore not a global icon, but we were repeatedly told that we were wrong.

I can't wait for the excuses. Did millions of televisions go out just before the match started? Or maybe it's just some big conspiracy that the television ratings firms are a part of just so that it doesn't appear that anyone is more popular in the U.S. than Serena and Venus? No, I think the excuse will be that people didn't watch it because they knew that Sharapova would dominate. Sorry, but I'm not buying that one. Anyone who is truly a big fan will watch the match no matter who the opponent is.

To be fair, I know that the vast majority of Maria's fans are not delusional, but the insane minority have sure been going over board with their posts and their claims lately.
Towanda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote