TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

View Single Post

Old Jun 12th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4326
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maja12 View Post
of the curse, of the reactions of some Russia based athletes... bah... I am happy for Maria and confused at the same time.
lefty24, you mentioned your dad and Maria's reactions to the anthem... What was going on, I didn't quite understand...
well my parents have a complicated relationship with Russia, well I guess I should say the former Soviet Union. My parents were Soviet jews and back then Jews were oppressed and were not allowed to be, well Jewish. Of course my parents and many other Soviet Jews wanted to leave but the Soviet Union wouldn't let them. I could on in great detail but I won't bore you. After fighting for their freedom they were finally let free. My mom actually speaks all over the world about her story and former US President Reagan mentioned my dad in a couple of his speeches.

So anyways, the US has been amazing to our family, completely different then Russia. My dad just despises that the US has done so much for Maria, yet she plays for the Russia. No matter how many times I tell him, he doesn't realize that so many other players don't live in the country they play for.

My mom and sister have similar feelings that he has, but they adore Maria(especially my mom) so they're not as harsh as him. We're going to Russian in July so hopefully it will give my family some closure.
Sorry for this essay.