TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Everything happens for a reason

View Single Post

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #1
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute
Everything happens for a reason

Who ever thought the shoulder injury would turn out to be a good thing?
It’s easy now in retrospect to say this, but it was.

Maria having to undergo surgery, pulling her away from the game has just increased her love for the sport even more. She became more willing to make whatever change was necessary to get back to the top, and improve her game. Her serve was (and in some small way always will be) a liability. She had to improve her already impressive return even further, because she needed to break serve more often. Beating a Maria who’s serving well these days will be that much more difficult, because she’s improved her return so much.

Her outlook has changed, and she’s more aware of how limited her time is to actually enjoy the sport. Without the injury she might have retired sooner. I think there’s a good chance now that Maria will play for at least 3-5 more years now.

Also, the gap between her Slam wins (to me) further proves what a fighter she is. Look at Hingis for instance, she won all her Slams in just a few years. It took Maria 8 years to win them all. That takes so much determination and fight. Even if she were never to win a Slam again, she’s an all-time great now.

Just wanted to create this thread to say this, and that I have so much respect for her. She’s one of my role models for not giving up on your dreams. She always was, and she always will be.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote