TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Official Married Names Thread

View Single Post

Old May 29th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #677
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Official Married Names Thread

Piggybacking on Jimbo's initial info I found more details for Dorothy Green.

GREEN, DOROTHY (nee Dorothy Scott Green)
United States
Born 31 March 1887 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Died December 1964 Collier County, Florida
Married Benjamin Franklin Briggs on 6 Sep 1913 at Jamestown, Rhode Island
Son John Alden born 15 Jan 1916
Active 1907-1913 as Miss Green, and from 1915 to 1927 as Mrs Briggs.

Usually listed as Mrs B Briggs after marriage. Her husband lived from 1883 to 1966.

In 1913 she was RU in the US Nationals to Mary Browne. Green represented Merion Cricket Club at the time. Browne and Green won the US National doubles crown in 1912. She reappeared at Pelham in May of 1915 as Mrs Briggs. She slowed down in tournament play after 1913, apparently taking up golf after quitting tennis.

Marriage announcement in the NYT

Newport, R. I., Sept. 6. -- The marriage of Miss Dorothy S. Green, daughter of Capt. and Mrs. John H. Green of Philadelphia, and Benjamin Franklin Briggs of New York took place this afternoon at the Summer residence of the bride's father, Anoatok, in Jamestown, and was witnessed by 150 relatives and friends from Philadelphia, New York and Baltimore. The ceremony was held on the enclosed veranda which had been transformed into a floral bower in Autumn style with a profusion of wild laurel and oak leaves.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!