Tennis Forum banner

Claypova in Rome: Veni, vidi, vici. The Sequel ...

37K views 675 replies 84 participants last post by  heelsrule1988 
#1 ·
Adiós, Madrid. Ciao, Roma!

Tournament History:

* she gave a Walkover to Jankovic in 2008

See less See more
#612 ·
I still can't get over it. I think I'm on something like a sugar-high. :)

She has a new home, y'all.

#614 ·
I really love this tournament. My faves always perform(ed) great there (Empress :sobbing:)

But I have to say, this title is something I demanded/expected of Maria. It's great that she did it but she had to.

Stuttgart was sweeter to be honest. Much better tennis and much better scalps. Not to mention match of the year against Stosur.

#616 ·
Agree with all this. For some reason I felt all year Maria was going to defend this title, and I would've been disappointed if she hadn't done it. She just seems to love it there for whatever reason (even before last year, it was always the claycourt tournament she performed best at - semifinals in 2005 and 2008 were very good results considering her general level on clay at that point).

And I agree that, despite Rome being the bigger tournament, winning Stuttgart felt sweeter to me. Because of how well she played and because she beat Azarenka, mainly.

#619 ·
That looks like a capricorn tbh :eek:

#620 ·
WOHOOOOOOOO!!!!! Ok time for me to describe the match.
I have already written how I felt before the match, so... When the match started I was having lunch so I did not watch, after the lunch I decided not to look at scores or anything because I was quite nervous and I have a lot of work to do so I decided just to skip it... but... the curious part in me couldn't dtay away from it for too long... I logged in here to see her 4:6 0:4 down in the 2nd set and wrote that she has reached her mental maximum and just cannot win titles that often anymore... But still went on to turn the tv and saw tha 1:4 and I was like: :ras: :bigcry: :wazzup: :ignore: (and add a green sick smiley in)... Then she won the 2nd game and the 3rd and the 4th and I was :scared: :help: she surely is gonna F* it up... Then she won the set and I was like :weirdo: :bounce: In the 3rd set I was all happy and hopeful until she started losing all the advantage and I became :fiery: :bs: until the crazy moments kicked in, rain, balls going this and that way, amazing rallies and some awful misses, she being down, me being furious, she fighting, me almost jumping out of my seat... I was happy when they finally stopped the match, went out of home, because I had an appointment, almost "biting" my nails what's gonna happen next. When I came back they just strated again and ofc she had to give me heart attacks and make me :mad: :rolleyes: in the TB... But when the ball was finally OUT and Mashenka won I went all :hysteric::rocker2::bigclap::inlove:
A bow down to FighterPova :worship:

#621 ·
This match was epic. :hysteric:
So intense and dramatic. I couldn't stand following the tiebreak, I checked the result just 30 mins ago.

So happy for Maria :hearts:

#622 ·
:lol: the one missing from the thread though is this one. How are there 2? :shrug:

#625 ·
Funny how some jackass moaned about the Venus handshake in GM :eek: I've been neutral on Li all through her career but I gather she's one of the good girls on the tour. She's been through some epic injury crap herself yet came back stronger then ever in the past couple of years. It's nice to see this kind of handshake :hearts:

#627 ·
As much as I love FighterPova (who WINS IN THE END!), these kinds of matches KILL me! So hard to watch! I still remember her Caroline Garcia match a year ago at Roland Garros. I like it that she wins in the end, but come on Maria, stop trying to kill your fans! It's just so nerve-wracking to watch her flop then fight then flop again!

#636 ·
I did the post for Stuttgart so I'll leave the honor to someone else.. but, please, also put the handshake pic in the titles thread because it has to be remembered forever. :lol:

#638 ·
I love how they both knew it was a terrible match :lol:

Maria looked really happy about this win, and I hope she can bring this confidence, and the game she has shown in most of her matches over this clay season to Roland Garros.
Those bad matches will always be there, but as long as she can win them :yeah:

#646 ·
Maria said many times in the interviews that there wasn't really a winner and a loser in this match, I can imagine she said something similar to Na at the net. :lol:
I need to find a video to see the handshake again, I was too happy and I lost the moment. :drool:
BTW, I was watching a replay of the match on ES some minutes ago and I saw that drive volley that Masha put on the netcord while they were 6-5, I think if I saw that live I would have died. :sobbing: :sobbing:

#642 ·
Need video of that handshake!

Best thing to wake up to! For about 10mins I couldn't wake up properly and had mini-dreams of me opening the computer and seeing a Na def Mash results thread

#643 ·
Its nice they can laugh after such a ridiculous match. I've seen them in proximity a few times on the practice courts in Melbourne- they never seem to acknowledge each other. Must be the GS intensity

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.