TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Following the Family Tradition: Maria Sakkari

View Single Post

Old Feb 24th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #1
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute
Following the Family Tradition: Maria Sakkari

Okay I think Maria deserves a thread. She's only 16 and already in the top 700! Shes currently ranked 701 but her career-high ranking is 698 which she achieved in November. Maria has 5 wins over top 750 opponents, her biggest win over #550 Artamonova. Shes currently ranked 350 in juniors and her career-high there is 203, but she focuses on senior tour events so that ranking doesn't really matter. Here is some biographical information:
Born: 25 July 1995
Plays: Right handed with two-handed backhand
Favorite Surface: Clay
Coach: Riccardo Rosolin

Maria's BFF on tour is Agni Stefanou who is 6 years older than her. I think Maria used to train at Evert's Academy in Florida because I remember seeing a photo of her with a shirt that said Evert on it, but maybe she was just wearing the shirt...She is a big hope for Greek tennis and her mother is Angeliki Kanellopoulou, who was a former WTA player who achieved a lot. She got up to #43 in the rankings, was a Fed Cup player for Greece for many years, reached the Olympic quarterfinals, reached the final of the WTA Athens event that we used to have in the late 1980s and early 1990s. She played in many Grand Slam main draws and even reached the round of 32 twice at the French Open. Hopefully Maria can be like her mother

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote