TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

View Single Post

Old Feb 9th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #3737
country flag solyane

solyane is a glorious beacon of light solyane is a glorious beacon of light solyane is a glorious beacon of light solyane is a glorious beacon of light solyane is a glorious beacon of light solyane is a glorious beacon of light solyane is a glorious beacon of light solyane is a glorious beacon of light solyane is a glorious beacon of light solyane is a glorious beacon of light solyane is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

New interview from Maria in a french newspaper http://www.lefigaro.fr/sport/2012/02...s-physique.php I translated it quickly during my lunch break, so sorry if it's not perfect.

LE FIGARO. Ė You managed to come back among the best players in the world after a long shoulderís injury that made you go down in the rankings. What did you learn from these hard times?
Maria SHARAPOVA. Ė I realized how much I love wh at Iím doing. When we start something really young and that we practice it every day, we are a little in autopilot mode and we donít really realize whatís going on. You have to wait a serious injury to understand what you may loose and really step back.

Did you discuss it with other famous players like Andre Agassi for instance, who came back to his best lever after his wristsí problems?
No directly. Even if there are injuries a lot different, we are all confronted to it at one point or another, we almost have the same perception. We know that our bodies is one of the thing that matters the most and people talk to us about our goals, we often point that our priority is ę to be healthy Ľ, which may seem like a boring answer for our interlocutors.

You have been playing pro for 11 years now, what look do you have on that period less intense that female tennis is going through right now?
The game became a lot more physical than before. When I won Wimbledon at 17 years old, I wasnít the most physical player on the tour. If I hadnít evolved, that I didnít become stronger physically, I wonít be able to keep up today. The young players are more powerful today, they move better on the court, their recovery is better. The physical preparation takes part in the evolution of female tennis, as well as technology, racketsÖ People are talking about a slack period in our sport but the prize money have never been higher since I have played pro, we obtained the equality of the prize with the men a few years ago, which was a big step. And with the tv rights and the sponsors it seems that a lot of people believes in female tennis.

With your size (1,88m), you are the taller WTA player on the circuit behind the player Akgul Amanmuradova (1, 90 m), but it seems that like with the the men, the female players are more and more tall. An explanation?
Regarding me, my parents arenít tall and neither athletics maybe itís coming from my great grandparents. But, I donít where this trend is coming from. Being tall has its advantages but also disadvantages. Itís harder to mode obviously, to change of direction but we can go get the ball further. And Iím sure that smaller builds still has a chance to express themselves on a court. You just have to look at a player like Justine Henin.

You are taking part for the first time in the Open GDF Suez. Aside from the competition, what would you like to do in Paris ?
Eating! (Laughs) I like trying lots of different meals. The architecture is one of my big hobbies, I get the advantage to discover new districts by walking or driving. I look at every roof, banisters, the way the building are build one towards another. Iím always wondering how they are build and itís a source of inspiration for me in a creative point of view. Obviously in Paris, there is also the shopping and aside from the designer brands, there are so many clothes shops where you can find a lot of classy and classical clothes.
solyane is offline View My Blog!