TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Feb 8th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #1933
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seleção82 View Post
... and Steffi vs. Gabriela Sabatini, Wimbledon QF 1987, 2nd set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOoiB88GaqY
I've mentioned this before, but David Miller's match report on this quarter-final match in "The Times" always makes me smile when I read his comment about Steffi.

Quote:
The sheer elegance of Miss Sabatini compels admiration. By comparison, Miss Graf at the other end, in what can only be described as looking like an old night-shirt, was appealing in a different way: a strapping, straightforward milkmaid, pleasingly devoid of fuss or self-awareness.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote