TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Fed Cup

Thread: Fed Cup
View Single Post

Old Feb 5th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #170
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fed Cup

Fed Cup, Consolation Match:

Romania def. Hungary 2-0

Simona Halep def. Reka-Luca Jani 6-2 6-3
Mihaela Buzarnescu def. Katalin Marosi 6-2 7-6(6)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Agree. Moni and Alex are my two fav Romanians by a good distance although I do actually like pretty much all the Romanian players. But both of them really did let their country down by missing this event. And I have to say I'm disappointed in them for that.

Had the team for the doubles match between Poland been Monica and Irina or even Alex and Irina I think Romania might be looking forward to a World Group 2 playoff tie right now. That said it certainly wouldn't have been a formality and what's done is done. They really really really REALLY must get out of this division next year though.

Obviously no criticisms to Irina and Simona and Mihaela who all did extremely well under the circumstances. Irina still hasn't really gotten comfortable on hardcourts yet, although I'm sure in time she will, and Simona isn't much of a doubles player at this point in her career, but both girls, as well as Mihaela who did a super job filling in, gave their best to every match.
I don't want to alledge them of faking an injury, but I guess that if they really have wanted to play the could have done it and they are both still IN for their respective tournaments next week, but of course a Fed Cup Tournament in Israel is messing up your schedule and they obviously rated their singles career higher. It's their choice and the consequence is another year in Group II.

Yeah, Simona barely plays doubles on the tour, so if she and Irina were able to grab a set, the new dream doubles team Begulescu would have won that one for sure, but there are no If's allowed in sport.

Well, new year new try in 2013...