TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Billie Jean Moffitt King career results

View Single Post

Old Feb 5th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #26
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation
1981 (age 37)

Listed below are 5 singles tournaments (none of which she won), with a win-loss record of 5-9 (5-7 indoor, 0-1 hard, 0-1 grass).

Week of March 2, 1981
Avon Championships of Los Angeles, The Forum, Los Angeles

Indoor
King was seeded [5]

1R d. Susan Mascarin 7-5, 6-1
2R d. Lena Sandin 7-5, 6-4
QF lost to Martina Navratilova [1] 6-3, 7-5

King while playing top-seeded Martina Navratilova in the quarterfinals.

King trailed Susan Mascarin 5-1 in the first set before winning the last 6 games of that set and 12 of the last 13 games of the match.

Week of March 9, 1981
Avon Championships of Dallas, Moody Coliseum, Dallas, Texas
Indoor

1R d. Felicia Raschiatore 6-3, 6-4
2R d. Virginia Wade 6-4, 6-3
QF lost to Virginia Ruzici 6-3, 6-2

After beating Virginia Wade, King said, "Virginia had a little trouble readying at the net, but we were pretty useful for 35 and 37 years old." But after losing to Virginia Ruzici, King said, "I never read the ball at all. Virginia killed me. I was missing all the high volleys, and I didn't serve well all week. I have to get tougher."

Week of March 16, 1981
Avon Championships of Boston, Boston, Massachusetts
Indoor
King was seeded [7]

1R lost to Kate Latham 6-3, 6-0

Kate Latham led throughout the match as King was unable to keep the ball on the court. Latham never lost her serve during the 37 minute match. King said, "I shouldn't play three tournaments in a row after my last knee operation last November. Winning and losing is good feedback to where you're at. I have to take a good look why I lost. Is it that I'm too old? That I can't cut it anymore? Should I get out? When you've been playing 27 years, there are highs and lows. You have to analyze the commitment to the game coming back from an injury. You have to be honest, and I always have with myself." But she also claimed, "I feel terrific. I have no excuses. Nothing went right for me. Everything I hit was two or three inches out."

Week of April 27, 1981
United Airlines Tournament of Champions Sunbird Cup (category 7), Grenelefe Golf and Tennis Resort, Haines City, Florida
Hard
King was seeded [6]

1R lost to Susan Rollinson 7-5, 6-3

Women's doubles:
Did not play.

Week of May 4, 1981
Bridgestone Doubles, Tokyo

Women's doubles (with Andrea Jaeger):
1R: lost to Anne Smith / Kathy Jordan 6-3, 6-7(5), 7-6

Loser's bracket: lost to Laura DuPont / Barbara Jordan 4-6, 7-5, 6-4

There probably was a third match to decide 7th and 8th places, versus the loser of M. Blackwood / S. Leo against Marita Redondo / Mareen "Peanut" Louie Harper. Before the tournament began and because of the ongoing "palimony" lawsuit involving King and Marilyn Barnett, King had offered to release Andrea Jaeger from her commitment to play with King in this tournament. But Jaeger and her parents refused.

Week of May 11, 1981
Gunze Tournament, Kobe, Japan

Women's doubles (with Andrea Jaeger):
F lost to Pam Shriver / Wendy Turnbull 6-7, 6-1, 6-4

Week of May 25, 1981
French Open, Roland Garros, Paris
Clay

Singles:
Did not play.

Women's doubles (with Ilana Kloss) (seeded [10]):
1R bye
2R advanced by walkover versus ________ Pakker / Marianne Van der Torre
3R d. Andrea Jaeger / Sylvia Hanika [7] 0-6, 6-2, 6-4
QF lost to Paula Smith / Candy Reynolds [2] 7-6, 6-3

Week of June 8, 1981
Surrey Championships (category 1), Surbiton, United Kingdom
Grass

1R bye
2R lost to Barbara Hallquist 6-3, 6-2

Women's doubles (with Ilana Kloss):
F lost to Sue Barker / Ann Kiyomura 6-1, 6-7, 6-1

After losing her second round match in 58 minutes, King incorrectly predicted, "'It's a pretty good chance that this was my last British tournament.'' As for missing Wimbledon for the first time since 1960, King denied that her absence was related to the Marilyn Barnett palimony suit and said, "I shall miss not walking out onto the center court at Wimbledon, but I am not afraid to go out there. I have played only 3 tournaments this year, and I decided 8 weeks ago that I would not play at Wimbledon. I have played there 20 times in a row, and it is a real wrench not to play again this year. I would love to play until I was 100 if I could. But let's face it, I'm 37 and I've been through 5 knee operations and I know I cannot go on forever."

Week of October 26, 1981
First National Bank Tennis Classic, Towson Center, Towson State University, Baltimore, Maryland
Indoor
King was seeded [2]

1R lost to Susan Mascarin 6-7, 6-2, 6-4

Week of November 2, 1981
International Kim Cup, Turin, Italy
Indoor

1RR lost to Virginia Wade 6-2, 6-3
2RR lost to Bettina Bunge 7-6, 6-4
3RR lost to Sue Barker 7-6, 6-0
4RR d. Virginia Ruzici 6-4, 2-6, 6-3

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!

Last edited by austinrunner : Feb 27th, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote