TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Billie Jean Moffitt King career results

View Single Post

Old Feb 5th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #25
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation
1980 (age 36)

Listed below are 19 singles tournaments (3 of which she won), with a win-loss record of 39-16 (28-12 indoor, 3-1 grass, 3-1 clay, 5-2 hard). (Her win-loss total does not include third-place matches.) She also won 10 women's doubles titles, including the US Open.

Week of January 7, 1980
Avon Championships of Cincinnati, Riverfront Coliseum, Cincinnati, Ohio

Indoor
King was seeded [4]

1R d. Betty Ann Grubb Hansen Stuart Dent Grout 3-6, 7-6, 6-2
2R d. Pam Shriver 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
QF d. Wendy Turnbull [6] 7-6(3), 7-6(5)
SF lost to Tracy Austin [2] 6-2, 6-3

Women's doubles:
King did not enter.

Tracy Austin won the first 5 games of the match before King broke service and held her own service to pull within 5-2. In the second set, the players traded service breaks to reach 3-3 before Austin again broke King's serve to run out the match. King said, "I wish I had played better or Tracy worse. I made all the mistakes, and she didn't make mistakes. Tracy consistently hits the ball harder than anyone else on the tour."

Week of January 14, 1980
Avon Championships of Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri
Indoor
King was seeded [3]

1R lost to Bettina Bunge 6-2, 6-3

Women's doubles (with Martina Navratilova):
SF defeated or advanced by walkover versus Virginia Wade / Greer Stevens
F d. Laura DuPont / Pam Shriver 6-3, 6-1

When asked what King said to her after the match, Bettina Bunge said, "Billie Jean was upset. I don't remember exactly what she said. But I know if some little kid comes up and beats me, I'm not going to be happy."

Week of January 21, 1980
Avon Championships of Chicago, International Amphitheatre, Chicago, Illinois
Indoor
King was seeded [4]

1R d. Caroline Stoll 6-1, 7-5
2R d. Renee Richards 6-0, 7-5
QF d. Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat [5] 4-6, 6-4, 7-6(7)
SF lost to Martina Navratilova [1] 7-6, 3-6, 6-1

Women's doubles (with Martina Navratilova) (seeded [1]):
2R d. Mary Lou Piatek / Barbara Potter 7-5, 6-3
SF defeated or advanced by walkover versus Ilana Kloss / Greer Stevens
F d. Sylvia Hanika / Kathy Jordan 6-3, 6-4

King threw temper tantrums and her racquet during her quarterfinal with Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat. She was then fined for refusing to attend the post-match news conference. According to the Women's Tennis Association, her excuse for not attending the news conference was, "I was unprofessional on the court, and I guess I'll be unprofessional again."

Week of February 11, 1980
Avon Championships of California, Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, California
Indoor
King was seeded [3]

1R d. Mima Jausovec 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
2R d. Christiane Jolissaint 6-4, 6-3
QF lost to Terry Holladay 7-5, 2-6, 6-0

Women's doubles:
No results found.

King missed the two previous weeks of tournaments because of a sore elbow. After winning her first round match, King said, "When you take time off, you have to bust your butt when you come back. You could see that tonight." In the quarterfinal against Terry Holladay, King served 3 doubles faults in one game and 2 doubles faults in another game of the first set.

Week of February 18, 1980
Avon Championships of Detroit, Cobo Arena, Detroit, Michigan
Indoor
King was seeded [2]

1R d. Dianne Morrison 6-2, 7-5
2R d. Diane Desfor 6-0, 6-2
3R d. Christiane Jolissaint 6-3, 6-2
QF d. Virginia Ruzici [8] 6-1, 6-4
SF d. Wendy Turnbull [3] 6-2, 6-4
F d. Evonne Goolagong Cawley [1] 6-3, 6-0

King clowning around in her press conference after winning the singles title.

Women's doubles (with Ilana Kloss):
SF advanced by walkover versus Virginia Wade / Greer Stevens (Wade had a high fever)
F d. Kathy Jordan / Anne Smith 3-6, 6-3, 6-2

King won the singles title here for the third time in this tournament's nine-year history. But this was the first time since 1975 that King had won a singles title on the Virginia Slims or Avon winter tour. Evonne Goolagong Cawley was hampered during the final by a pulled abdominal muscle, which King noticed during the warm-up as Goolagong Cawley was unable to hit overheads properly. King broke serve and held to take a 5-2 lead in the first set. The Australian saved 4 set points in the next game and held serve after 8 deuces. King then held serve to win the set on a service ace. King also served an ace to win the match. Goolagong Cawley won only 10 points in the second set. The match was played before a crowd of 9,678.

Week of February 25, 1980
Avon Championships of Houston, Houston, Texas
Indoor
King was seeded [3]

1R d. Regina Marsikova 5-7, 7-6(2), 6-4
2R d. Roberta McCallum 7-5, 6-4
QF d. Sue Barker [6] 6-4, 7-5
SF d. Greer Stevens [8] 7-6(4), 7-6(4)
F d. Martina Navratilova [1] 6-1, 6-3

F d. Betty Stove / Wendy Turnbull 3-6, 6-1, 6-4

King trailed Greer Stevens 5-3 in both sets before rallying. She then needed only 50 minutes in the final to end Martina Navratilova's 28-match winning streak. In both sets, King took immediate 2-break leads.

Week of March 3, 1980
Avon Championships of Dallas, Moody Coliseum, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
Indoor
King was seeded [3]

1R lost to Greer Stevens 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(4)

?R d. Andrea Jaeger / Suzy Jaeger 6-2, 6-1 (played March 5)
F d. Rosemary Casals / Wendy Turnbull 4-6, 6-3, 6-3

King was unable to hold a 5-3 lead in the final set against Greer Stevens and saw her 11-match winning streak snapped.

Week of March 10, 1980
Avon Championships of Boston, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
Indoor
King was seeded [3]

1R d. Terry Holladay 6-3, 6-0
2R d. Sandy Collins 6-1, 6-2
QF d. Kathy Jordan [6] 6-4, 6-1
SF lost to Tracy Austin [1] 6-3, 6-0

F lost to Rosemary Casals / Wendy Turnbull 6-4, 7-6

Austin was overpowering during her defeat of King in the semifinals. Austin frequently hit shots out of King's reach and never let King get on track during the 54-minute match.

Week of March 17, 1980
The Avon Championships, Madison Square Garden, New York City
Indoor
King was seeded [3]

1RR d. Virginia Wade [5] 6-1, 6-3
2RR lost to Martina Navratilova [1] 6-2, 6-1

Elimination round: d. Wendy Turnbull [6] 6-2, 6-2
SF lost to Tracy Austin [2] 6-3, 6-1

Third place match: defaulted to Evonne Goolagong Cawley because of a right knee injury (without taking the court)

SF d. Kathy Jordan / Anne Smith 6-4, 6-4
F d. Rosemary Casals / Wendy Turnbull 6-3, 4-6, 6-3

After Virginia Wade held serve at love to open their round robin match, King won nine consecutive games with the loss of only nine points and, at the end of the first set, won 19 of the last 22 points. King hit her forehand with pace and confidence throughout the match. "Friends say the former New York Apples team tennis teammates seldom even greet each other these days."

Before a crowd of 10,312, Martina Navratilova needed 59 minutes to defeat King in her second round robin match. Navratilova said after the match, "We are friends, but once we do play, we're out there for killing. I was really nervous tonight, especially after the way she cleaned up the court with me last time [in Houston]. I haven't been this psyched up for a match in a long time." Normally conscious of the need to play big points well, King lost all eight 30-30 points in the match. King also hit a double fault on break point to give Navratilova a 3-1 lead in the second set and allowed Navratilova to dominate the close-in volleying exchanges at the net.The match started well for King as she won the toss, elected to receive, and immediately broke Navratilova's serve. In the next game, King won the first point on her serve, but then hit a double fault and sailed a forehand approach shot long. Navratilova then hit 2 high quality service returns at King's feet to complete the break back. "I really blew the match in the second game," said King.

Knowing she could not compete with Tracy Austin's power from the baseline, King hit lobs and spins against her in the semifinals, to no avail. King never reached break point on Austin's serve and hit 16 unforced errors in 16 games. Austin said, "I feel Billie Jean tried to change her game against me. She was trying to do a lot of spins and funny shots, instead of playing her game." King said she was "fed up" with her play. "Too many missed shots. No rhythm on the serve. No conviction. No commitment. New tactics needed. Back to the drawing board."

Week of March 24, 1980
Clairol Crown, La Costa Resort & Spa, Carlsbad, California
Hard

1R/SF lost to Martina Navratilova 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-0
Third place match: Evonne Goolagong Cawley defeated King 6-0, 6-3

Women's doubles:
No results found.

King trailed 4-1 in the second set against Martina Navratilova before winning 4 consecutive games to lead 5-4. While serving for the match, King made 2 double faults and squandered 2 match points to help Navratilova even the set. On one of the match points, Navratilova hit a let cord winner off a service return. King said, "Sometimes let cords either win it for you or lose it for you. Today it won it for Martina and lost it for me. It was just unbelievable. I was distraught [after the second set], but kept trying. I was angry at myself because I hate to lose, especially these kind of matches. They really hurt."

Week of March 31, 1980
Bridgestone Doubles Championships, Tokyo
Indoor carpet
Played with Martina Navratilova

1R/QF d. Terry Holladay / Betsy Nagelsen McCormack 6-3, 6-4

SF d. Betty Stove / Wendy Turnbull 7-6, 6-2
F d. Ann Kiyomura / Sue Barker 7-5, 6-3

Week of April 7, 1980
Family Circle Cup, Hilton Head, South Carolina
Clay

Women's doubles (with Rosemary Casals):
QF lost to Joanne Russell / Sherry Acker 6-3, 6-0

Week of April 28, 1980
United Airlines Sunbird Cup (AAAA), Grenelefe Golf and Tennis Club, Haines City, Florida
Hard
King was seeded [3]

1R Barbara Jordan advanced by walkover (bronchitis)

Women's doubles:
No results found.

Week of May 12, 1980
Gunze World Tennis Tournament, Kobe and Tokyo, Japan
Indoor
King was seeded [2]

1R/QF lost to Rosemary Casals 6-4, 6-7, 6-0

RR or 1R d. Pam Shriver / Anne Smith (score unknown)
RR or SF d. Rosemary Casals / Wendy Turnbull 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
F d. Rosemary Casals / Wendy Turnbull 6-3, 6-1

Perhaps the doubles was a round robin?

Week of May 26, 1980
French Open, Roland Garros, Paris
Clay
King was seeded [2]

1R d. Roberta McCallum 6-2, 6-1

2R d. Anne Hobbs 6-2, 6-2
3R d. Leslie Allen 6-4, 3-6, 6-2

QF lost to Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat [5] 6-1, 6-4

Women's doubles (with Ilana Kloss) (seeded [1]):
1R lost to Candy Reynolds / Paula Smith 7-6, 3-6, 6-4

Mixed doubles:
Did not play.

This was the first time that King played the French Open since completing her career Grand Slam in singles in 1972. This was also King's first singles tournament in 4 weeks because of bronchial asthma. She got upset with a linesperson's call in the first game of the quarterfinal with Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat and played impatiently the remainder of the first set. She took a 4-1 lead in the second set before losing the last 5 games of the match. King remarked after the match, "I was just in a bad mood."

King had been scheduled to play mixed doubles with Ilie Nastase, but he withdrew from the tournament with a sore throat.

Week of June 23, 1980
Wimbledon, All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, London, United Kingdom
Grass
King was seeded [5]

1R bye
2R d. Anne Smith 6-3, 7-6(3)
3R d. Mareen "Peanut" Louie Harper 6-2, 6-2
4R d. Pam Shriver 5-7, 7-6(5), 10-8

QF lost to Martina Navratilova [1] 7-6(6), 1-6, 10-8

1R bye
2R d. Mary Carillo / Roberta McCallum 7-5, 6-4
3R d. Mona Schallau Guerrant / Kate Latham 1-0, retired
QF d. Chris Evert / Virginia Ruzici [6] 6-2, 6-2
SF lost to Kathy Jordan / Anne Smith [4] 6-2, 4-6, 6-4

Mixed doubles (with Dick Stockton) (seeded [2]):
1R advanced by walkover versus ________ Gomez / ________ Segal
2R advanced by walkover versus Robin Drysdale / ________ Bostrom
3R d. Jose Luis Clerc / ________ Rodriguez 6-3, 6-0
QF lost to Mark Edmondson / Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat [6] 6-3, 7-6

King saved 2 set points in the second set against Anne Smith. King survived a match point against Pam Shriver in the second set at 5-4 when Shriver overhit a routine forehand volley. Shriver led 4-2 (40-0) while serving in the third set before hitting 3 consecutive double faults to lose the seventh game. King finally defeated Shriver in 2 hours, 40 minutes. King said, "She was serving terrifically and those underspin shots of hers were bouncing every way but Sunday. All I could do was just hang on, play every point the best I could, and hope that she would make an error. Her serve is a whopper. All I could do was just stand back and try to meet it." King also said that Shriver played a "resilient" match and "kept under good control, for her." She said Shriver had outclassed her most of the way and "everytime I got in a position where I thought, 'Now I'm rolling,' she rolled over me." King denied that she took comfort of Shriver's unravelling in recent matches. "You don't ever count on that if you're a great player. ... You have to win it if you're going to be a champion."

King led Navratilova in the first set tiebreak 5-1 when it started raining. Her eyeglasses got wet, and her request to suspend the match (per the pre-match agreement with tournament officials) was denied. She then lost the tiebreak 8-6. The match was then suspended until the following day. On day 2, King won 20 of the first 23 points in the second set and took the set in 17 minutes with the loss of only 7 points. Navratilova broke serve to lead 2-0 in the third set before King tied the set at 2-2. King served for the match at 6-5 but hit four bad volleys to lose her service at love. King said, "That was the biggest choke in the world. I choked. I didn't make it happen." King then saved 8 match points over 3 games, all with first serves to Navratilova's backhand and aggressive volleys off chipped returns. Three of the match points were at 6-7, three more were at 7-8 (0-40), and the last two were at 8-9. Navratilova said, "I couldn't believe it. Every time I needed just one point, she kept getting her first serve in. My serve was atrocious, and she served well and kept hitting winners off my passing shots." King's eyeglasses broke during the changeover at 8-9. King had a spare pair, but they were not quite right. Navratilova won the match on a forehand service return winner. King said afterwards "I think that may be the single match in my career that I could have won if I hadn't had bad eyes."

Picture taken sometime during Wimbledon.

Week of July 21, 1980
Central Fidelity Bank International (AA), Robins Center, University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia
Indoor
King was seeded [2]

1R lost to Wendy White Prausa 6-2, 6-2

F d. Pam Shriver / Anne Smith [2] 6-4, 4-6, 6-3

Wendy White Prausa was in control throughout the match that lasted less than 1 hour. King had only two opportunities to break White's serve during the match, but White saved both of them. She broke King in the third and seventh games of the first set and the first and fifth games of the second set.

Week of August 18, 1980
US Open, USTA National Tennis Center, New York City
Hard

Singles:
Did not play.

1R bye
2R d. Kathy May Teacher / Pam Teeguarden 6-3, 3-6, 7-6
3R d. Mima Jausovec / Renee Richards 6-4, 6-2
QF d. Virginia Wade / Greer Stevens [8] 6-2, 6-3
SF d. Andrea Jaeger / Regina Marsikova [6] 6-2, 6-3
F d. Pam Shriver / Betty Stove [4] 7-6, 7-5

Mixed doubles:
Did not play.

In women's doubles, King won her 39th and last Grand Slam title. She won 16 Grand Slam women's doubles titles, 5 of which were at the US Open. She won 13 titles at this tournament. King withdrew from the singles competition because, depending on which published report you believe, she felt she was not playing well enough or she had a "nagging, debilitating virus." Lee Jackson, the longtime tennis umpire and women's tennis official, told this writer during the tournament that King skipped the singles competition because of recent nasal polyp surgery.

Week of September 8, 1980
Toray Sillook (AAAA), No. 2 Olympic Gymnasium, Tokyo, Japan
Hard
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Rosemary Casals 6-3, 7-6
2R d. Barbara Hallquist 6-2, 6-3
QF d. Mima Jausovec 6-4, 6-4
SF d. Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat [3] 3-6, 7-5, 7-5
F d. Terry Holladay [7] 7-5, 6-4

Women's doubles:
Not held.

King hit 11 double faults and trailed Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat 5-2 in the third set before winning the last 5 games of their 1 hour, 45 minute semifinal. King then won the singles title for the third time.

Week of September 15, 1980
Buick-Riviera Classic (AAAA), Riviera Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada
Hard
King was seeded [3]

1R lost to Sylvia Hanika 7-5, 1-6, 6-3

Women's doubles:
No results found.

Week of September 22, 1980
Davison's Classic (AA), Atlanta, Georgia
Indoor
King was seeded [2]

1R d. Ann Kiyomura 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
2R lost to Joanne Russell 5-7, 6-2, 6-4

Women's doubles:
No results found.

Week of September 29, 1980
U.S. Indoor Championships (Michelob Light Classic) (AA), Met Center, Bloomington, Minnesota
Indoor
King was seeded [2]

1R d. Mareen "Peanut" Louie Harper 7-6, 6-3
2R d. Susan Mascarin 7-5, 6-4
QF d. Roberta McCallum 6-2, 6-2
SF lost to Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat [4] 7-6, 6-3

Women's doubles:
No results found.

King played with a heavily taped forearm because of a muscle strain she suffered 3 weeks previously in Japan. She ended the year with a 2-2 singles record versus Dianne Fromholtz Balestrat.

King had minor knee surgery in San Francisco on 14 November 1980. Both knees were inspected by the surgeon. One was in excellent condition, and adhesions and cartilage were removed from the other. (I do not know which knee had the adhensions and cartilage removed.)

Last edited by austinrunner : Feb 20th, 2012 at 03:09 AM.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote