TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Billie Jean Moffitt King career results

View Single Post

Old Feb 5th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #20
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation
1975 (age 31)

Listed below are 6 singles tournaments (2 of which she won), with a win-loss record of 24-4 (12-2 indoor, 11-1 grass, 1-1 hard). She also won 4 women's doubles tournaments.

Week of January 6
Virginia Slims, Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, California

Indoor
King was seeded [2]

1R d. Betty Ann Grubb Hansen Stuart Dent Grout 6-3, 6-4

2R d. Kathy Kuykendall 6-2, 7-6(5-3)
QF d. Francoise Durr 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
SF d. Virginia Wade [3] 7-6, 6-1

F lost to Chris Evert [1] 6-1, 6-1

Women's doubles (with Chris Evert):
F d. Rosemary Casals / Virginia Wade 6-2, 7-5

King said after the singles final, "Chris [Evert] beat my ears off."

Week of January 13
Virginia Slims, Robarts Sports Arena, Sarasota, Florida

Indoor
King was seeded [2]

1R d. Janet Newberry 6-1, 6-2
2R d. Sue Stapp 6-2, 6-3
QF d. Wendy Overton 6-2, 6-1
SF d. Julie Heldman [6] 6-1, 6-2
F d. Chris Evert [1] 6-2, 6-3

Women's doubles (with Chris Evert):
SF d. Nancy Richey / Sue Stap 6-4, 6-4
F d. Virginia Wade / Betty Stove 6-4, 6-2

This tournament was supposed to have been King's final singles tournament before retirement. After defeating Chris Evert in the 65 minute final, King said, "I was nervous today and that was a good sign. ... I knew this was my last one and I really wanted to go out with a win. I got myself really psyched up and told myself to go for everything." King's strong overhead smashes dominated the match, and she outscored Evert at the net 17-1. "I was upset with the way I played last week," said King, "and I didn't want to play like a turkey today." Evert said, "She hit great shots and that was the best I've ever seen her play." Evert hit 23 unforced errors in 17 games. Commenting on that statistic, Evert said, "There was a good reason for that. Billie Jean didn't do one thing wrong. So if I had played my usual steady game, the score would have been 6-1, 6-1. I had to go for the big shots and as a result made more errors." Looking back at that match, King said, "I probably played so well because I had to, for the money. Out of frustration comes creativity. Right?" This was King's first tournament championship in Florida, and it was Evert's first professional loss in Florida since a loss to Nancy Richey in St. Petersburg in 1972.

Week of March 3
Virginia Slims of Boston, Case Gymnasium, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts

Indoor carpet

Women's doubles (with Rosemary Casals):
SF d. Evonne Goolagong Cawley / Virginia Wade (3 sets, exact score unknown)
F d. Chris Evert / Martina Navratilova 6-3, 6-4

According to the Nashua Telegraph on March 8, 1975, this tournament was the U.S. Indoor Championships.

Week of March 24
Virginia Slims, The Palestra, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Indoor
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Pam Teeguarden 6-0, 6-3
2R d. Julie Anthony 6-3, 6-3
QF d. Wendy Overton 6-1, 6-0
SF lost to Virginia Wade [5] 3-6, 6-2, 6-2

F lost to Evonne Goolagong Cawley / Betty Stove 4-6, 6-4, 7-6(5-3)

King, who left the Philadelphia Freedoms for New York in World Team Tennis, feared she might get a cold reception. Instead, she was given a standing ovation before her opening match. After losing to Virginia Wade, King said, "Boy I played really stupid. I played like an angel, when I should have played like a butch." Wade double faulted to lose the opening set. She then took a 3-0 lead in the final set, allowing King only 4 points.

Week of April 7
Bridgestone World Doubles Championships, Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo

Indoor carpet
Played with Rosemary Casals
Seeded [1]

1R/QF d. Brigitte Cuypers / Helen Gourley Cawley 6-1, 6-1
SF d. Martina Navratilova / Lesley Hunt [3] 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
F lost to Margaret Smith Court / Virginia Wade [4] 6-7(2-5), 7-6(5-2), 6-2

Week of April 14
L'Eggs World Series of Tennis, Lakeway World of Tennis, Austin, Texas

Hard

SF d. Evonne Goolagong Cawley 6-1, 6-3
F lost to Chris Evert 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(5-2)

As King was serving for the match at 6–5 in the third set, a disputed line call went in Chris Evert's favor. King stopped pursuing a shot from Evert when a linesperson began to extend his arm for an "out" call. At the last moment, he judged the ball to have landed on the line and changed his hand signal. King went ballistic, demanding a let that the umpire refused to grant. The tiebreak was anticlamactic, with King donating a double fault on the first point and hitting 2 balls into the net. King said after the match, "This is the angriest I've ever been in my life after a tennis match. As far as I'm concerned, I got screwed out of the match." Evert took home $50,000 for winning the event, with King getting $25,000. This was the largest amount King had ever won in a tournament to this point in her career.

Week of April 28
Mixed Doubles Classic, John Gardiner Tennis Ranch, Scottsdale, Arizona

Played with Tony Trabert

1R d. Sven Davidson / Wendy Overton 6-4, 6-4
SF d. Pancho Gonzales / Rosemary Casals 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
F d. Frank Sedgman / Margaret Smith Court 6-4, 6-2

Week of June 16
Eastbourne, United Kingdom

Grass
King was seeded [2]

1R bye
2R d. Lesley Charles 6-0, 6-4
3R d. Natasha Chmyrova 6-2, 7-5
QF d. Linky Boshoff 6-3, 6-2
SF d. Olga Morozova 6-4, 6-1
F lost to Virginia Wade 7-5, 4-6, 6-4

King led Virginia Wade 5-2 and had a set point at 5-4 in the first set. Wade jumped out to a 4-2 lead in the second set before King won the last 4 games of that set.

Week of June 23
Wimbledon, All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, London, United Kingdom

Grass
King was seeded [3]

1R d. Elizabeth Truter Vlotman 6-1, 6-4
2R d. Veronica Burton 6-1, 6-3
3R d. Julie Anthony 6-2, 6-3

4R d. Michele Gurdal 6-1, 6-2
QF d. Olga Morozova [7] 6-3, 6-3

SF d. Chris Evert [1] 2-6, 6-2, 6-3

F d. Evonne Goolagong Cawley [4] 6-0, 6-1

Women's doubles (with Rosemary Casals) (seeded [2]):
1R d. Elly Appel / Tine Zwaan 6-2, 6-2
2R d. Annette Coe / Belinda (?) Thompson 6-0, 6-4
3R d. Joyce Hume / Winnie Shaw Wooldridge 6-2, 6-0
QF d. Julie Anthony / Olga Morozova 9-7, 9-8
SF lost to Francoise Durr / Betty Stove 2-6, 8-6, 6-2

Mixed doubles (with Tony Roche) (seeded [2]):
1R d. Marcello Lara / Rosie Reyes Darmon 6-2, 6-1
2R
d. ________ Tazuka / Kazuko Sawamatsu 6-3, 7-5
3R failed to advance by walkover versus Allan Stone / Betty Stove (Roche had a sore abdominal muscle)

In the semifinals, King initially tried to play Chris Evert from the baseline but abandoned that strategy after a long rally at 1-2 (15-30) in the first set. The strategy change did not help because when King tried to get to the net, she was getting lobbed. Evert missed only 2 first serves in that set and seemed invulnerable. But Evert needed three second serves in the first game of the second set and was broken. Evert broke back to tie the set at 2-2 before King won the last 4 games of the set. There were 3 long games at the start of the third set, with Evert winning all of them. "Mrs. King tried checking the pace, kept on attempting drop shots, and was passed frequently again. But Miss Evert was passive, always watching her and waiting for her to make a move." King saved 3 break points from 0-3 (15-40) and held serve. She then immediately broke Evert's serve "after two long rallies and a remarkable spring from the baseline to pick up a drop shot. That was the heart of the match. Thereafter Miss Evert was defending and Mrs. King was always the attacker." King broke Evert's serve again to lead 4-3 after "another of those fierce sprints and the rest was comparatively painless. Miss Evert looked as though she simply had not understood anything that happened in the last six games [of the match]. At the end she said that she had thought herself safe in the fourth game of the third set." King won the match on her second match point. After the match, King said, "When I was down 0-3 and 15-40 in the final set, I thought how embarrassed I shall be if I lost it 6-0. I said to myself I must try and take each point to get back into the match. Then I thought: 'This is my last Wimbledon and I just can’t lose this match now. I just want to do the whole trip.'"

Evonne Goolagong Cawley "could not put two good shots together" during the 39 minute final. She won only 10 points in the first set and 14 points in the second. It was the most lopsided women's final since 1951, when Doris Hart defeated Shirley Fry Irvin 6-1, 6-0. King said, "I played with my brain. Plus, I don't think she knew what hit her. Every shot was so close to the net she couldn't read it." King said to the news media that she played a "near perfect match" and "I'm never coming back." The Australian began the match with a double fault and lost her service at love. She forced King to 3 deuces in the next game, but that was the only time she was in the match until she finally won her service in the fifth game of the second set.

King then temporarily retired from singles. In an August 31, 1975, newspaper interview just after she had won her first round US Open doubles match, King explained her retirement: " 'I'm burned out, my knees are shot, I keep running out of goals,' Billie Jean said Saturday, insisting her retirement from tennis singles competition is final. 'There is no chance whatever I will change my mind,' she added. 'And I have no regrets. ... Playing doubles was fun, no pressure. I enjoyed it,' she said. Billie Jean said she made up her mind when she shook hands with Evonne Goolagong after winning the U.S. Open women's title last year for the fourth time that she would not be back as a singles player. She decided then, she said, to shoot for her sixth Wimbledon championship - a goal she achieved - and then call it quits. 'There is nothing left for me to win,' she said. 'Physically, I am not up to it. My knees hurt. I am an emotional player. I need motivation, and the motivation is gone.' Ms. King, who publishes a women's magazine and has a lucrative television contract, said she went to the Westchester Country Club last week just to see if she regretted her decision. 'I didn't miss it at all,' she added. ... Some critics had said Billie Jean stayed out of the tournament because she didn't like the clay surface. 'Let them think what they want,' she retorted. She said she wanted to go out on top. 'I hated to see athletes hang on past their prime,' she said. 'I determined it was not for me.' She said she is happy to pass her mantle on to Chris Evert, who she says can take up her role both in administration and competition. 'I don't see anyone beating her,' she said. Some reporters at a press conference showed cynicism at Billie Jean's insistence that she would never try a comeback. 'Frank Sinatra is always retiring and then coming back,' one reporter suggested. 'Yeah,' quipped Billie Jean, 'but you don't sing with your knees.' " Associated Press story in the Appleton [Wisconsin] Post-Crescent, August 31, 1975, page 32.

Week of August 25
US Open, West Side Tennis Club, New York City
Clay

Singles:
Did not play.

Women's doubles (with Rosemary Casals) (seeded [4]):
1R
d. Janet Newberry / Pam Teeguarden 6-3, 6-2
2R d. Linky Boshoff / Ilana Kloss 6-2, 6-2
QF d. Joanne Russell / Jane Stratton 6-2, 6-1
SF d. Chris Evert / Martina Navratilova 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
F lost to Margaret Smith Court / Virginia Wade [3] 7-5, 2-6, 7-6(5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEauzfgb5q4

Mixed doubles (with Fred Stolle) (seeded [2]):
1R d. Tony Roche / Kristien Kemmer Shaw Ziska 7-6, 6-2
2R d. Ion Tiriac / Virginia Ruzici 6-1, 6-2
QF d. Clark Graebner / Sue Stap 7-5, 6-3
SF d. Alex Metrevelli / Olga Morozova 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
F lost to Richard Stockton / Rosemary Casals [4] 6-3, 6-7, 6-3

Week of October 27
U.S. Indoor Championships, Charlotte, Virginia

Indoors

F d. ???? / ????

Week of December 1 (played December 6)
Mixed Doubles Challenge, Indoor Pavilion at Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada

Played with Marty Riessen

lost to Jimmy Connors / Chris Evert 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5

Last edited by austinrunner : Feb 17th, 2012 at 05:13 AM.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote