TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Billie Jean Moffitt King career results

View Single Post

Old Feb 5th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #17
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation
1972 (age 28)

Listed below are 24 singles tournaments (11 of which she won), with a win-loss record of 88-13 (15-3 indoor, 20-4 hard, 31-5 clay, 22-1 grass). She also won 8 women's doubles titles, including the French Open and Wimbledon. On 25 December 1972, the American magazine Sports Illustrated named her Sportswoman of the Year.

King won the French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open singles titles. She elected not to play the Australian Open at the start of the year, despite being in New Zealand at the end of 1971. King said, "I was twenty-eight years old, and I was at the height of my powers. I'm quite sure I could have won the Grand Slam [in] ... 1972, but the Australian was such a minor-league tournament at that time.... More important, I did not want to miss any Virginia Slims winter tournaments. I was playing enough as it was."

Week of January 10
British Motors Pro Tennis Championships (Virginia Slims), Civic Auditorium, San Francisco

Indoor
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Cecilia Martinez 6-1, 6-3
2R/QF d. Nancy Richey [8] 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
SF d. Virginia Wade [4] 6-4, 6-3
F d. Kerry Melville Reid [6] 7-6(5-0), 7-6(5-2)

Women's doubles:
No results found.

King was down 5-6 (0-40) in the first set of the final. She then won 24 of the next 27 points.

Week of January 17
Independent Press-Telegram's Women's Tennis Championships (Virginia Slims), Billie Jean King Center and Long Beach City College Gymnasium, Long Beach, California & Cerritos College Men's Gym, Norwalk, California

Hard (outdoor) at the Billie Jean King Center and indoor elsewhere

1R d. Pam Teeguarden 6-1, 6-2 (indoor)
2R/QF d. Helen Gourlay Cawley [8] 7-6(5-1), 7-5 (indoor)
SF lost to Francoise Durr [3] 6-3, 6-0 (pulled a leg muscle during the match)
Third place match: Kerry Melville Reid won by walkover (leg injury)

Women's doubles:
No results found.

King said in her 1982 autobiography that she intentionally lost the semifinal match with Francoise Durr because of an argument with her (King's) husband.

Week of January 31
Virginia Slims International, The Tennis Club, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Clay
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Kathy Kuykendall 6-1, 6-1
2R d. Valerie Ziegenfuss 6-1, 6-1
QF d. Nancy Richey [7] 6-0, 7-6(5-0)

SF d. Wendy Overton 6-2, 6-1
F lost to Chris Evert [3] 6-1, 6-0

Women's doubles:
No results found.

Notice in the above picture that King is wearing the same dress as when she defeated Chris Evert in the semifinals of the 1971 US Open.

A capacity crowd of 3,300 watched the final. King was broken all 6 times she served. Evert won the first 5 games of the match before her only double fault of the match allowed King to win the sixth game. King said, "No one ever had beaten me that badly since I started playing big time tennis. I wasn't really ready. I haven't had three days of good practice since last October [1971]. It was my own fault. But I am determined that it won't be that way again." Valley Morning Star, Harlingen, Texas, March 10, 1972, page A10. King also said, "My game stunk from the start. She could tell it. Chris kept knocking the ball back, waiting for me to make mistakes. And baby, I made 'em. A lot of women who played against her in this tournament pressured themselves right out of the match thinking about having to play Chris in her own town. No matter where we play, nobody's going to think about her as a teenager anymore. She plays like a pro, even if she doesn't take the money." Evert said, "Concentration - I think that's where Billie Jean failed today. Let's face it. Billie Jean was never in it." The tour professionals left no doubt whose side they were on, louding cheering for King. Evert said, "I heard the other pros cheering for Billie Jean. Of course I heard them. How could I have helped it - by putting cotton in my ears?" "Go get her Billie Jean!" was their chant during play.

Week of February 14
Virginia Slims Invitational (level C event), Frederickson Field House, Oklahoma City University, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Indoor
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Lesley Hunt 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
2R/QF lost to Betty Stove 6-3, 7-6(5-4)

Women's doubles (with Rosemary Casals) (seeded [1]):
F d. Francoise Durr / Judy Tegart Dalton [2] 6-7(4-5), 7-6(5-2), 6-2

In the quarterfinals, qualifier Betty Stove broke serve once to win the first set and saved 4 set points in the second set tiebreak.

Week of February 21
Virginia Slims Invitational (level C event), Linden Hill Bath and Tennis Club, Bethesda, Maryland

Indoor
King was seeded [1]

1R lost to Julie Heldman 3-6, 6-4, 6-1

Tournament organizers gave King an extra day's rest because she was suffering from a bad knee and an infected toe. But she lost anyway. Afterwards, King said she was "physically and mentally exhausted, and I can't play my best." Julie Heldman said, "[O]n a silver platter, she gave me the third [set]." King then defaulted her doubles match, refusing to risk further injury to her toe.

Week of March 6
Maureen Connolly Brinker Tennis Championships (level B event), T-Bar-M Racquet Club, Dallas, Texas

Indoor
King was seeded [4]

1R d. Kristien Kemmer Shaw Ziska 6-2, 6-1
2R d. Karen Krantzcke 6-3, 6-4
QF d. Chris Evert [5] 6-7(4-5), 6-3, 7-5

SF d. Evonne Goolagong Cawley [1] 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
F lost to Nancy Richey 7-6(5-2), 6-1

Women's doubles (with Rosemary Casals):
F d. Francoise Durr / Judy Tegart Dalton 6-3, 4-6, 7-5

Concerning her spotty play during early 1972, King said during this tournament, "Fans are very fickle. I hear whispers, 'Well it looks like Billie Jean is over the hill' and I want to turn to them and tell them what I think. I'm far from being over the hill. I'm 28. Women play their best tennis in their 30s. I have been very busy and under great pressure trying to get this Virginia Slims circuit on the road. I've given as many as 20 interviews a day and I've gone into matches so tired that I didn't feel I could lift a racquet. I haven't trained properly. I think it's great that we have these new personalities like Evonne [Goolagong Cawley] and Chris [Evert], but no athlete likes to lose. I have set a new standard in my head. I know if I meet that standard, I can win. If I don't, I lose. Now I intend to get back on that standard. ... I spent 15 years building a reputation and I don't mean to have it destroyed in three weeks." Valley Morning Star, Harlingen, Texas, March 10, 1972, page A10.

King was down a set and 3-1 to Chris Evert in the quarterfinals before taking 5 consecutive games to win the second set. While leading, Evert confessed to thinking about how she would defeat Evonne Goolagong Cawley in the next round. King won the match on her third match point.

After a tame first set in the semifinals against Goolagong Cawley, where she was just a shadow of her normal self, King stormed the net. In one glorious stretch, she lost only 1 point through 4 service games. It was Goolagong Cawley who crumbled down the stretch.

After losing the 65 minute final, King said, "I just ran out of gas. My legs were hurting me and Nancy [Richey] knew it and kept hitting the ball at my feet. I was low on adrenalin. Those earlier matches took it all out of me." Richey had lost her previous 6 matches to King.

Week of March 20
Virginia Slims Invitational (level C event), Westwood Racquet Club, Richmond, Virginia

Clay (indoor)
King was seeded [3]

1R d. Barbara Downs 6-2, 6-3
2R d. Nell Truman 6-2, 7-5
QF d. Janet Newberry 6-1, 6-0
SF d. Kerry Melville Reid [2] 6-3, 6-0
F d. Nancy Richey [4] 6-3, 6-4

SF d. Kerry Harris / Kerry Melville Reid 7-5, 6-3
F d. Karen Krantzcke / Judy Tegart Dalton [2] 7-5, 7-6

King broke Nancy Richey's 13-match winning streak in the final. With Richey leading 3-2 in the first set, King won 11 consecutive points and broke serve to win the set. A similar scenario happened in the second set, with King winning 9 consecutive points after trailing 2-3.

Week of March 27
Caribe Hilton Invitational (level D event), San Juan, Puerto Rico

Hard
King was seeded [2]

1R d. Janet Newberry 6-2, 6-3
2R/QF d. Nell Truman 6-2, 6-1
SF lost to Nancy Richey [3] 7-6(5-3), 6-1

F d. Karen Krantzcke / Judy Tegart Dalton 6-2, 6-3

In a contentious semifinal, Nancy Richey refused to continue play at the start of the tiebreak unless a line judge was removed. After winning the tiebreak, Richey rolled over King in only 25 minutes. The line calling was horrid from the start. First, King got upset when a linesman kept waving to his friends in the gallery. Then came Richey's protest, after a linesman called a King shot good that Richey insisted was out. Right after that, there was another controversial call, with King suggesting that yet another linesman be removed. By now, the whole crowd was yelling out. Most of the close calls appeared to go against King. A demoralized King also had to contend with a strong sun causing a glare on her eyeglasses.

Week of April 3
Virginia Slims (level D event), Deerwood Country Club, Jacksonville, Florida

Clay
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Pam Austin 6-0, 6-0
2R d. Pam Teeguarden 6-2, 6-4
QF d. Karen Krantzcke 6-1, 6-1
SF d. Lita Liem Sugiarto 6-2, 6-2
F lost to Marie Neumannova Pinterova 6-4, 6-3

Women's doubles (with Vicki Berner):
F lost to Karen Krantzcke / Judy Tegart Dalton 7-5, 6-1

King defeated Pam Teeguarden in the second round with a racquet borrowed from Pam O'Shaughnessy after King's racquets were stolen from a car. After the final, King said, "It was a great day for tennis but a lousy one for Billie Jean King. It was extremely windy, but I usually play well in the wind. She [Marie Neumannova Pinterova] just played far superior and deserved to win."

Week of April 10
Virginia Slims Masters (level C event), Bartlett Park Tennis Center, Saint Petersburg, Florida

Clay
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Wendy Gilchrist Paish 6-3, 6-3
2R d. Jill Cooper 7-5, 6-1
QF d. Francoise Durr [5] 7-5, 6-2
SF lost to Chris Evert [4] 6-2, 6-3
Third place match: King won by walkover versus Judy Tegart Dalton [7]

Women's doubles:
No results found.

On the way to the final, Chris Evert routined King yet again on clay. King's only consolation was she won 5 games - 4 more than she did at Fort Lauderdale. King tried numerous drop shots to draw Evert to the net. But more often than not, Evert reached the teasers and put them away for winners.

Week of April 17
Virginia Slims Conquistadores (level C event), Tucson Racquet Club, Tucson, Arizona

Hard
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Pam Richmond 6-0, 6-2
2R d. Pam Austin 6-1, 6-0
QF d. Kerry Harris 5-7, 6-3, 7-5
SF d. Judy Tegart Dalton [4] 6-2, 6-2
F d. Francoise Durr [3] 6-0, 6-3

Women's doubles:
No results found.

King said that she finds the circuit draining, complaining about how she is hounded by the media and autograph seekers. She beat an off-form Francoise Durr in the final. Durr said, "I was not very good, but Billie Jean did not make 3 mistakes during the match." The key game was at 4-3 in the second set, with King winning it after 6 deuces.

King was somewhat lucky to reach the final. She survived 3 match points after trailing 2-5 in the third set of her quarterfinal versus Kerry Harris.

Week of May 1
Virginia Slims Indoor (level C event), Indianapolis Fairgrounds Coliseum, Indianapolis, Indiana

Indoor
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Laurie Tenney 6-4, 6-1
QF d. Mary Ann Eisel Curtis Beattie 7-6(5-4), 3-6, 6-3
SF d. Wendy Overton [5] 6-3, 6-2
F d. Nancy Richey [2] 6-3, 6-3

Women's doubles:
No results found.

In the quarterfinals, King survived 7 set points with Mary Ann Eisel Curtis Beattie serving at 6-5 in the first set. The game went to 14 deuces and had 34 points played before King prevailed. King survived another set point at 4-4 in the first set tiebreak.

Week of May 22
French Open, Roland Garros, Paris

Clay
King was seeded [3]

1R bye
2R bye
3R d. Winnie Shaw Wooldridge 6-3, 6-0
4R d. Valerie Ziegenfuss 6-3, 6-1
QF d. Virginia Wade [6] 6-1, 6-3
SF d. Helga Niessen Masthoff [7] 6-4, 6-4
F d. Evonne Goolagong Cawley [1] 6-3, 6-3
http://www.ina.fr/sport/tennis/video...lagong.fr.html

Women's doubles (with Betty Stove) (seeded [4]):
1R advanced by walkover versus Carmen Coronado Mandarino / ________
2R d. Gail Sherriff Chanfreau Lovera / Rosie Reyes Darmon 6-2, 6-2
QF d. Kerry Harris / Kerry Melville Reid 6-2, 6-3
SF d. Francoise Durr / Judy Tegart Dalton [1] 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
F d. Winnie Shaw Wooldridge / Nell Truman 6-1, 6-2

Mixed doubles (with Clark Graebner) (seeded [4]):
1R d. ________ Perry / Laura Rossouw 6-3, 6-2
2R d. Tomas Lejus / Betty Stove 6-4, 9-7
QF lost to Robert Hewitt / Virginia Wade 8-6, 6-3

King brandished a new weapon during this tournament, a feared drop shot. Throughout her quarterfinal with Virginia Wade, she drop shotted the Englishwoman, following any returned gets with passing shots. King also used it to good effect versus clay court expert Helga Niessen Masthoff in the semifinals. The West German said about King's drop shot: "It's very deceptive, because they come off her racquet just like a slice shot and you think they are just high, and then they just drop down." King said, "My instinctive way of playing seems to be to Helga's advantage. Helga seems to play better the harder and harder I hit." Finding the clay packed harder, King employed fewer drop shots in the semifinals than she did against Wade. King won the match the hard way, outsteadying Niessen Masthoff.

King completed her career Grand Slam in singles, winning the title before 12,000 fans on her second match point. She played a devastating net game in the final to overthrow Evonne Goolagong Cawley, who was the defending champion and played mainly from the baseline. King won the first set by breaking serve in the first and last game. The Australian lost the first 5 points of the match, 4 of them on errors. She lost the first 3 points of the last game of the first set before King won it. Goolagong Cawley then broke serve in the first game of the second set, but King broke back immediately. Goolagong Cawley had 3 chances to break serve in the third game but did not convert. She did break serve in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead. But King won the last 4 games of the match.

Ironically, King had almost skipped the French Open. She came, in her words, because it was a mandatory event on the women's Grand Prix and she felt it would give her practice for Wimbledon. She won the event on her seventh attempt.

Week of June 5
John Player Round Robin, The Park Courts, Nottingham, United Kingdom

Grass

1RR d. Virginia Wade 6-7(5-7), 6-3, 6-4
2RR d. Rosemary Casals 6-7(4-7), 6-4, 7-5
3RR versus Evonne Goolagong Cawley canceled because of rain.

King was awarded first place "based on percentages."

Week of June 12
W.D. & H.O. Wills Open (West of England Championships), Redlands Club, Bristol, United Kingdom

Grass
King was seeded [2]

1R d. Pam Teeguarden 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
QF d. Laura Rossouw 6-0, 6-3
SF d. Rosemary Casals [3] 6-3, 6-2
F d. Kerry Melville Reid 6-3, 6-2

F lost to Karen Krantzcke / Helen Gourlay Cawley 6-4, 6-2

In the first round, King trailed Pam Teeguarden by a set and a break at 1-0 before rallying to win the match. In the final, King swept Kerry Melville Reid off the court in a quick 40 minutes with a stream of winning volleys.

Week of June 19
Rothman's Grass Court Championships, Queen's Club, London, United Kingdom

Grass

F d. Brenda Kirk / Patricia Walkden Pretorius 5-7, 6-0, 6-2

Week of June 26
Wimbledon, All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, London, United Kingdom

Grass
King was seeded [2]

1R bye
2R d. Sharon Walsh Pete 6-2, 6-0
3R d. Cecilia Martinez 6-1, 6-3
4R d. Winnie Shaw Wooldridge 6-4, 6-2
QF d. Virginia Wade [7] 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
SF d. Rosemary Casals [6] 6-2, 6-4 http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//I...05/FS050772006
F d. Evonne Goolagong Cawley [1] 6-3, 6-3

Women's doubles (with Betty Stove) (seeded [1]):
1R bye
2R d. Lany Kaligis / Lita Liem Sugiarto 6-3, 6-1
3R d. Denise Carter Triolo / Kristy Pigeon Crawford 6-1, 6-1
QF d. Wendy Gilchrist Paish / Laura Rossouw 6-2, 6-1
SF d. Winnie Shaw Wooldridge / Joyce Williams 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
F d. Francoise Durr / Judy Tegart Dalton [3] 6-2, 4-6, 6-3

Mixed doubles (with Clark Graebner) (seeded [3]):
1R bye
2R advanced by walkover versus ________ Case / ________ Morgan
3R d. Eugene Scott / Marjorie Gengler 6-1, 6-2
4R d. Ivan Molina / Fiorella Bonicelli 9-7, 6-1
QF advanced by walkover versus ________ Conejo / Isabel Fernandez
SF lost to Ilie Nastase / Rosemary Casals [2] 9-8, 7-5

The King versus Virginia Wade encounter was the best played match of the quarterfinals. King won the first 5 games of the match, losing only 8 points. King gave Wade a long stare when Wade went on a tear in the second set with the crowd roaring. Wade continued her fine play in the third set, but King raised her play to an even higher plane. In the fourth game, Wade failed to get a first serve in and King took advantage to break serve. The match ended on a delicate stab volley that clipped the line. The second set of this match was the only set King lost all year in the 3 Grand Slam tournaments she contested.

King needed only 50 minutes to rout Evonne Goolagong Cawley in the final to become the first woman since Louise Brough Clapp in 1955 to win the Wimbledon singles title four times. The match "lacked atmosphere and excitement and offered little high class tennis." The Australian's first serve was frequently off target and she lost many points off her soft and vulnerable second serve. She said, "Playing the semifinal against Chris [Evert] had taken so much off my shoulders. I relaxed and did not get in the right frame of mind." Many spectators had paid $100 to scalpers for $9 tickets. Because of windy conditions, King said their play was "spotty" and, "It's difficult playing a Wimbledon final. You don't have to play great tennis. You just have to be better than your opponent. Both of us were really nervous because it was so windy. You never knew where the ball was going." Still, she said that "from an artistic point of view, this is the happiest I have ever been with my game." King said, "My determination to win the 1972 title really started with the handshakes after that semifinal last year" when she lost to Goolagong Cawley. "I had a wonderful year in 1971. I won 19 tournaments, and I thought I was the best player. It really worried me, losing that semifinal to Evonne, and I've worried about it ever since. That is why today's match meant so much to me."

Week of July 31
Virginia Slims (level C event), Columbus Country Club, Columbus, Georgia

Clay
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Jade Schiffman 6-4, 6-0
2R d. Wendy Gilchrist Paish 6-3, 6-4
QF d. Helen Gourlay Cawley [8] 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
SF lost to Francoise Durr [5] 2-6, 6-2, 6-2

Francoise Durr ended King's 29-match winning streak. Durr said, "I never know when I'm going to beat her but I always know that I can beat her. After I lost the first set, I just concentrated on keeping the ball in the court and letting her make the errors."

Week of August 14
Virginia Slims (level B event), South Denver High School Tennis Stadium, Denver, Colorado

Hard
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Raquel Giscafre 6-1, 6-3
2R d. Karen Krantzcke 6-4, 6-3
QF d. Julie Heldman 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
SF d. Lesley Hunt 6-2, 6-4
F lost to Nancy Richey [3] 1-6, 6-4, 6-4

King lost the first game of the final with Nancy Richey before winning the next 7 games to lead 6-1, 1-0. King had a game point to lead 5-4 but got broken. Richey served out the next game at love to tie the set 4-4. Upset with some line calls in the second set, King demanded that a linesman be replaced. The chair umpire refused. King lost her serve after 3 deuces in the opening game of the third set. Noticing the offending linesman was still around, she complained throughout the third set. Richey got broken when leading 3-1, but managed 2 more breaks to run out the match. The crowd of 2,000 was firmly in King's corner despite her outbursts, prompting her to call them her "all-time audience in ten years. They were really good to me. I'll never forget it."

Week of August 21
Virginia Slims Grass Court Championships (level C event), Newport Casino, Newport, Rhode Island

Grass
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Esme Emmanuel 6-0, 6-2
2R d. Betty Stove 6-2, 6-0
QF d. Pam Teeguarden 7-5, 6-0
SF d. Julie Heldman 6-0, 6-3
F lost to Margaret Smith Court [6] 6-4, 6-1

?R: d. Kristy Pigeon Crawford / Julie Heldman 6-1, 6-2
SF d. Wendy Overton / Valerie Ziegenfuss 6-4, 6-2
F lost to Margaret Smith Court / Lesley Hunt [3] 6-2, 6-2

King said after the final, "I was terrible. I couldn't get psyched." Margaret Smith Court had only 1 double fault during the match, compared to King's 5. Smith Court declared, "I'm serving better than I have in my career, and, after losing some weight, seem to be moving better, too."

Week of August 28
US Open, West Side Tennis Club, New York City

Grass
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Patti Hogan Fordyce 6-3, 6-2

2R d. Esme Emanuel 6-1, 6-3
3R d. Sharon Walsh Pete 6-4, 6-4
QF d. Virginia Wade [8] 6-2, 7-5
SF d. Margaret Smith Court [5] 6-4, 6-4

F d. Kerry Melville Reid [9] 6-3, 7-5

1R d. Marcie (?) Louie / Laura Rossouw 6-1, 6-0
2R d. Fiorella Bonicelli / Isabel Fernandez 7-6, 6-4
QF d. Patti Hogan Fordyce / Olga Morozova 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
SF lost to Francoise Durr / Betty Stove [4] 7-6, 3-6, 6-4

Mixed doubles with Owen Davidson (seeded [3]):
1R d. Ernie Ewert / Kerry Harris 7-6, 6-0
2R d. Colin Dibley / Karen Krantzcke 6-0, 7-6
3R d. Ian (?) Fletcher / Mona Schallau Guerrant 6-3, 6-1
QF d. Robert Maud / Betty Stove [5] 6-3, 6-4
SF lost to Ilie Nastase / Rosemary Casals [1] 4-6, 6-4, 7-6

Virginia Wade "fought like a tigress" before losing to King in the quarterfinals. The semifinal with Margaret Smith Court was "full of robust, forceful, all-court attack." King was more consistent in her attack, with Court making too many forehand errors to keep up.The final was closer than any of King's other matches, but her serve was too much for Kerry Melville Reid. The latter almost capitalized on the strong wind that sprang up in the second set. Melville Reid had leads of 4-3 and 5-4 but could not break King's service.

Week of September 11
Four Roses Premium Tennis Classic (Virginia Slims) (level A event), Olde Providence Racquet and Swim Club, Charlotte, North Carolina

Clay
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Patricia Ann Reese 6-1, 6-1
2R d. Betty Stove 6-0, 6-4
QF d. Mona Schallau Guerrant 6-2, 6-7(2-5), 6-1
SF d. Rosemary Casals [4] 6-2, 6-3
F d. Margaret Smith Court [3] 6-2, 6-2

Women's doubles (with Rosemary Casals) (seeded [2]):
2R defeated or advanced by walkover versus Wendy Overton / Laura Rossouw
SF lost or defaulted to Margaret Smith Court / Lesley Hunt [3] (score unknown)

King said that the final with Margaret Smith Court was the best match she played all tournament. She said that she tried to keep the ball away from Smith Court. "You can't let her swing out at the ball. It's like jamming a power hitter in baseball." Smith Court led 2-1 in the first set before King won the last 5 games of the set.

Week of September 18
Golden Gate Pacific Coast Tennis Classic (level C event), Oakland, California

Hard
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Jill Cooper 6-0, 6-2
2R d. Betty Stove 6-3, 6-3
QF d. Julie Heldman [8] 6-1, 6-1
SF d. Kerry Melville Reid [4] 6-0, 6-2
F lost to Margaret Smith Court [2] 6-4, 6-1

Women's doubles (with Ann Haydon Jones):
F d. Margaret Smith Court / Lesley Hunt 7-5, 2-6, 7-6(5-4)

After the final, "Spectators said Mrs. King did not have her usual enthusiasm for the game, and [she] afterwords told the crowd she was tired." King got jeered by the crowd for appearing to give up towards the end of the match. King said later that "I had one of those insignificant days ... a walkabout as Evonne Goolagong [Cawley] would call it." Margaret Smith Court took a different view, accusing King of tanking: "You just don't throw it away like that."

Week of September 25
Virginia Slims Phoenix Thunderbird (level C event), Phoenix, Arizona

Hard
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Bonnie Logan 6-2, 6-2
2R d. Mona Schallau Guerrant 6-1, 6-4
QF d. Veronica Burton 6-2, 6-4
SF d. Rosemary Casals [4] 6-3, 7-6(5-0)
F d. Margaret Smith Court [3] 7-6(5-1), 6-3

Women's doubles (with Ann Haydon Jones) (seeded [4]):
SF lost to Rosemary Casals / Wendy Overton 5-7, 6-4, 7-6(5-3)

In a 112 degree temperature before 4,100 spectators, Margaret Smith Court led 5-3 in the first set and 3-2 in the second set, but could not hold the lead in either set. Smith Court double faulted twice in the first set tiebreak. Later, King said, "It's really important versus Margaret not to let her win that first set. If you stay even with her or get ahead, you have a chance because she gets tight." King's tournament earnings for the year were boosted over $100,000 for the second consecutive year.

Week of October 9
Virginia Slims Championships, Boca Raton Hotel and Club, Boca Raton, Florida

Clay
King was seeded [1]

1R d. Lesley Hunt 6-1, 6-1
QF d. Wendy Overton [8] 7-6, 6-2
SF lost to Chris Evert [4] 6-4, 6-2
Third place match: Francoise Durr [7] won by walkover (illness)

Women's doubles:
Not held.

King was reportedly very ill during her semifinal with Chris Evert. Larry King, her husband, said, "She really was very ill, but she was determined to finish that match and not have to walk off the court. At one point, the umpire gave Billie Jean his hat so she could be sick in it, but she went out there and finished in that 90 degree heat."

Last edited by austinrunner : Feb 18th, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote