TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Official Married Names Thread

View Single Post

Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM   #41
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all
Re: The Official Married Names Thread

Eveline Maude Froude
United Kingdom
Born 1872
Died 1965
Married (1) Sidney Nutcombe-Quicke, circa 1895, deceased 27 April 1898
Married (2) Reginald Crundall-Punnett, 1913

I'm not sure how this player became known as "Betty" – she was probably just called that by family and friends. She reached the final of the Carlton Club New Year Meeting in Cannes as late as January 1925.
--

Originally posted by jimbo103:

Besides the name there is an other problem: mrs.Nutcombe-Quicke got many results from 1907 to 1913, and there was a gap from 1913 to 1925 when appeared the final in Cannes. In 1925 she would have been 53 years old!
The result of Cannes shows her as Elizabeth Crundall-Punnett.
--

Originally posted by newmark401:

You're right on all counts. It was I who researched most of those early results and put them up within this website in threads I created myself. I also originally wrote "Elizabeth Crundall-Punnett" because I heard that her first name was "Betty". Personally, I think she could have played into her fifties because players of that era tended to play on and on. After all, they weren't playing for money or ranking points or other things that players of today tend to compete for. Players like Dorothea Lambert Chambers, Phyllis Satterthwaite, Ethel Larcombe and Elizabeth Ryan played on well into their forties.

I can't believe that there were two Mrs Nutcombe-Quickes, both of whom ended up marrying a Mr Crundall-Punnett. That said, it's difficult to establish a sold tennis link of any kind. But Eveline was clearly a player who liked the clay courts of the French Riviera and Switzerland, and took part in the tournaments there when she felt like it.
--

Originally posted by newmark401:

I have more specific info on Mrs Nutcombe-Quicke/Mrs Crundall-Punnett, from the British Births/Marriages/Deaths index, so can edit the entry in no. 181 above, as follows:

Eveline Maude Froude-Bellew
United Kingdom
Born second quarter of 1872
Died third quarter of 1965
Married (1) Sidney Nutcombe-Quicke, second quarter of 1897, deceased 27 April 1898
Married (2) Reginald Crundall-Punnett, second quarter of 1913

Eveline was 93 when she died. Reginald Crundall-Punnett outlived her by a couple of years. He was a distinguished geneticist. An obituary of Reginald mentioned that he became very good at tennis after his marriage in 1913 to Eveline, "...herself a notable player".
--

Orignally posted by newmark401:

According to the London "Times", Eveline Maude Froude, widow of Sidney Nutcombe-Quicke, married Reginald Crundall-Punnett in St Mary Abbots church, Kensington, London, on 13 June 1913. Reginald was described as "Fellow of Gonville and Caius and Arthur Balfour Professor of Genetics in the University of Cambridge."
-----

Last edited by newmark401 : Feb 3rd, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!