TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #2114
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Rather like the 1981 US Open final between Martina and Tracy, I just could not watch the end of that match, because it is so disappointing when you feel that the "best man" did not win the match! While the 1981 US Open final is, in my opinion, the ultimate car-crash tennis-tv (and you just know Martina is going to serve a double-fault at match point), I suppose Tracy won the match fair and square........ I even find the 1979 victory over Chris easier to watch than Martina's sheer terror and inability to close out the match in either of the two tiebreaks.

Was the Evert-Sanchez match not also played on the very same day that Martina went out to Zvereva? A horrible day for tennis. None of them ever went back to Paris....

Chris looks haggard, ill and just not wanting to be there. She hits her shots rather like in practice, not in a competitive, concentrated environment at all. ASV surely must be the most one-dimensional player in the history of the sport! Game tactic: push the ball. What shot to play: topspin or slice, as long as it involves pushing the ball. At one point, you have Chris Evert resorting to serve and volley on red clay!! That is how desperately dull it is - the last time she did that was against the moonballing Andrea Jaegar in the US Clay Court Championships in 1980, but even Jaegar had some other aspects to her game, unlike ASV (whom I always found more excruciating and embarrassing to watch than even Manuela Maleeva or Karen Susmann).
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote