TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Jan 14th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #2111
country flag GHFB

GHFB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Hello everyone. My first post in a long time. I remember this loss being a bit of a shock at the time, but I think the worse loss (and probably the worst claycourt loss of Evert's career) was to Barbara Paulus in '89. Evert was obviously prepping for the major clay court tournaments and (I'm guessing) thought she could cruise a bit to an easy title in the Swiss Open (and, if so, given her record, rightly so) and she gets bounced by Paulus in the final. I think that loss to Paulus really cut deep, especially as she had lost earlier to a very young Seles in Houston (another loss which cut deep, IMO). I remember reading a quote from Evert how she didn't feel like chasing moonballs or whatnot. Anyway, no Italian or French for Evert in '89. Was Evert injured at that time?

Anyway, I watched Zvereva beat Paulus in an i-n-t-e-r-m-i-n-a-b-l-e NSW Open final in '90 or '91. Really, little juniour girls did more with the ball and displayed more courtsense and tactical awareness than those two did that day, and I was not impressed at all with Paulus "live", and during the match I remember wondering how Evert could have lost to Paulus - she ate moonballers for breakfast all her career and to call Paulus' game "one-dimensional" would have flattered her. At least Sanchez turned out to be a multiple grand slam title winner and was ranked No 1 etc.

All just IMO, of course.
GHFB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote