TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Jan 14th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #2110
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrunner View Post
Chris Evert's last match at the French Open, a 1988 third round loss to Arantxa Sanchez Vicario 6-1, 7-6(4) that took 2 hours, 51 minutes. That averages to 8 minutes, 33 seconds per game, precisely the kind of match that Evert hated to play at that stage in her career. But note the 54-shot rally that Evert won while serving to save the match at 4-5 (15-30).
http://www.ina.fr/sport/tennis/video...anchez.fr.html

Our thread about this match:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=164620
when i finally saw that match, i was shocked to learn she was down 1-6 1-5.... and came back to achieve the exact same score as her match in the previous grand slam event, when she lost to Steffi 1-6 6-7 at the Australian Open, ALSO coming back from 1-6 1-5 down!!! Amazing!!

The other thing I didnt know is how sick Evert was during the French Open match... Mary Carillo says BEFORE they take the court, that she cant believe chris is going to play because she has "never seen her so sick" in the locker room...and she kept mentioning it through the match that she can barely watch, and can't understand why chris didnt ask to have it postponed.

you are certainly right about it being the kind of thing she hated at that point though - she was not sick or injured during the 89 french, for the record... she just didnt want to play on slow red clay for 2 straight weeks, and that's why she didnt compete there.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote