TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #2108
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
wow, i never knew that, TV!! it makes a lot of sense, though she did walk very stiffly as well in general, so grace of presence may simply not have been a physical trait of margaret court. but fascinating to think how well she DID, while yet having been 'corrected' from a leftie natural stroke! She may have been even more fearsome. Certainly, Evert had much more trouble against leftie serves too, so that would have helped Court's batting average against Chris as well.

thats probably the trouble i have watching later evert matches in fact - it's just much less graceful tennis and probably half the art is lost as her dimensions are far fewer once the play is more about graphite doing a lot of extra work in the stroke production & having to defend the court against the influx of that power-heavy influence, than about precision and purity of form. chrissie's forehand devolved into that meatier topspin stroke that is very repetitive, whereas when you watch her for the first 80% of her career, she had all the great variety, especially with those laser-bullet forehands & her unique inside-out shot which almost disappeared entirely from her arsenal; those shots alone had always made her tennis compelling.

but she did succeed in developing a better relationship with the mid-court ball~ albeit, which is much easier to hit in play than with wood~ and the resultant all-court displays in the 87 & 88 wimbledon matches against navratilova in particular, definitely had an added kick to them for that reason. that's where the variety of styles in her career does feel rewarding. Would have been very interesting to see how Court would have differed in her matches with Evert had Chris pushed the envelope on athleticism like that during the Court/Evert era rivalry!! would have been very fun to watch those dynamics!
Yes I am like you - I much preferred watching the pre-graphite Evert for the very same reasons you mentioned. Her deft touch, exquisite lobs and laser like drives with pin point accuracy were all astonishing.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote