TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Jan 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #2105
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by laschutz View Post
yeah, margaret's forehead was very tough, strange though because when you actually watch it and pay attention her forehand production seems "OFF" to me.. i mean she swings away, but for instance, most of the time if not all the time, she looks like she was "off balance when she was hitting it, and it looked like a how should i say "violent" stroke production..while it was hard hit and powerful to me it's actually amazing, that it was as accurate as it was.. i can though see how someone who slowballed her and with tons of spin and if she got nervous and tight,or if someone could go toe to toe with her her forehand could fall apart.......
If you read her books, she does hint that it's the side she always had problems with and had to work hard on to steady herself,enlisting several coaches (Dennis Van der Meer, etc). I imagine that since her arms were unusually long, she'd have had a lot of trouble with such a long, loopy swing breaking down at some point in production. I think her greatest weapon (like Graf after her) was her footwork. She was incredibly fast and got to Evert angles (especially on the backhand) that most players would've given up on. In the hypothetical, someone like Seles would have given her fits, because of the disguised and unreadable angles. Margaret outside of her comfort zone of pattern tennis was not a pretty sight. She (like Lendl after her) normally bludgeoned opponents with consistent pace and never let up.