TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Sacha Jones now an Aussie

View Single Post

Old Dec 29th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #31
louloubelle

louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of
Re: Sacha Jones now an Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
Hmm, a little bit of a surprise. I chatted to Sacha and her brother GD the other day. They were in Auckland training, and I knew GD from the juniors, we were in the same training squad. I guess if you have the eligibility to become Australian it's reasonable, although disappointing as a Kiwi. That's the problem with tennis in NZ, we just don't have the resources and we also don't have enough tournaments of any level in NZ, including futures- hardly any. The situation is actually becoming worse. We used to have maybe 3 ITF futures? I think we now have no mens' ITF futures in NZ and one womens' one. Awful. We had maybe 7 money tournaments (not enough) and now we have 2, maybe 3 a year. How can you develop players without tournaments? And it's not like in Europe, where they can easily play tournaments in neighbouring countries.

So I can't hold it against her. She's been struggling in the last year or two a bit and probably feels this is necessary to give herself the best chance to make it.

There are a lot of good Aussie players so if she would get anything, I suppose it would be an AO Qualy WC.
Great post As you've outlined this is much more than a AO MD WC and more about NZ Tennis!!

Sacha understandably feels that she is treading water and needs to make a change. Im sure TA did not lure her with a carrot of $$$$, but more like Sacha looking to enter a system that has some sort of support structure for their top players. NZ unfortunately does not have such a system.

Pity because they have had enough talent the last couple of years to have a top 200 tour presence - Vano, Barry, Hollands etc... and one hopes that Westbury and Fanning don't travel the same path as these players. They dont seem to have a federation that is prepared to put together funds and support for their players. Pulling out Fed Cup teams and denying their top 60 player a chance to play the Olympics shows a lack of committment.

Or maybe Tennis NZ aren't concerned and are wishing Sacha well Or maybe if the sport isnt netball or rugby its no big deal