TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Dec 12th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #2079
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
It only takes a few seconds to appear on the systems I've used. The final score was 6-2, 6-0 and they were kind enough to show one of the games won by Wendy. There was no one in that tournament capable of hurting Chris on clay. Tracy Austin, who had just beaten her in Rome, ending her record winning streak, didn't take part.
The highlights (if that's what they truly were) did show a number of errors by Evert and winners by Wendy. You wouldn't have thought so by the actual final score.

Now, as to no one in the tournament capable of hurting Chris on clay.....there just weren't many players at all capable of hurting her on clay at the time. This was 1979, and her clay court winning streak had just ended. And it was also just shortly after her wedding. She did actually struggle a bit int he spring: Fromholtz nearly beat her at the Fed Cup; she was extended to 3 sets twice at the Italian before the Austin match. and in the R16 at the French, Medrado played her to a tough 3 setter. Then she turned on the jets, and routed Fromholtz and Turnbull to win her 3rd French. There was no one who was capable of truly threatening Chris at Roland Garros at the time. And I'm gonna still rail against Austin for not playing the French. I would have loved nothing better than to see Chris whoop up on Tracy at Roland Garros. Because you just know Mrs. Lloyd would have had her blinders on, and her fingernails sharpened to do battle with Tracy.

I also clicked on another link from the French videos.
http://www.ina.fr/sport/tennis/video...-bimes.fr.html

Interesting one of Chris getting an award for fair play. Chris looks a little awkward that the presentation is in all French, until they finally come to her, and she looks relieved he addresses her in English! Funny that a graphic on screen reads Chris Evert Lloyd.....even though the award was from 1998, more than a decade after divorcing Lloyd.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote