TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Nov 16th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #1809
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorroger View Post
It is great ''talking'' to you again, those were fun times at the original SG thread. After having been a fan for such a long time, I have to say that my favorite matches are the ones in the latter stages of her career, maybe she wasn't as quick and mentally strong as in the late 80s, begin 90s, but to me the way she played tennis with her final racket (the Black Wilson), was like watching someone who has been great at st for a very long time, hard to explain, I just watched some '99 matches of her on youtube and the way she hits, is so different than from her best years, again difficult to explain, to me the Max 200g was a lot of hard work for her and the Wilson made her shots so much easier and nicer to look at. Great to have you back, hope you are well!
Oh, I understand and agree totally. I noticed immediately that she had made some adjustments to her forehand, and was much more consistent. Her Indian Wells final, even though she lost to Serena, is one of my favorites because Graf's level of play and consistency were outstanding. Serena had to win that match, and even though Steffi had a few chances, that Williams serve did the trick. Otherwise, Graf would have taken it. All that from a player with so much wear on her body, and frankly, a knee that would've put anyone else into retirement. I used to hit with the 200G, and still have one, but don't have the upper body strength to even swing it any more. I always loved the point of contact on the forehand farther out and somewhat late, of course, not in the same league as Steffi, but watching her play back then with that bazooka forehand was inspiring.