TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Nov 15th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #1807
country flag Warriorroger

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
Good to be back. I have all this time on my hands (and fingers) being home on disability all day- I'm back on the Blast and check for updates regularly.

I agree, Sabatini had a great game plan, stuck to it, and kind of surprised Graf a little by continuing to move forward instead of her usual heavy topspin baseline game, hitting many shots off her back foot 10 or more feet behind the baseline. It took balls to be frank. While I thoroughly enjoyed Graf's drubbing of Sabatini a few weeks later at Zurich, she just didn't get used to Gaby at the net all the time at the 90 USO, let alone her penchant for drop volleys (many of which weren't that good- sitters really). No excuses, but it wasn't a good match from Graf at all.

I think my favorite all-time shot from Graf was at Wimbledon 91 on match point against Sabatini- a rifle forehand inside-out for a winner which landed relatively short in the court for a ball with that kind of pace. Gaby was well positioned at the net, but had no play at all. It gave me goosebumps then and still does today.
It is great ''talking'' to you again, those were fun times at the original SG thread. After having been a fan for such a long time, I have to say that my favorite matches are the ones in the latter stages of her career, maybe she wasn't as quick and mentally strong as in the late 80s, begin 90s, but to me the way she played tennis with her final racket (the Black Wilson), was like watching someone who has been great at st for a very long time, hard to explain, I just watched some '99 matches of her on youtube and the way she hits, is so different than from her best years, again difficult to explain, to me the Max 200g was a lot of hard work for her and the Wilson made her shots so much easier and nicer to look at. Great to have you back, hope you are well!
Warriorroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote