TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Nov 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #1806
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorroger View Post
Great to see you post again Alfajeffster, it has been a long time. Going back to that match; Sabatini was the better player that day (IMO), a better gameplan and execution and deserved to win. To me the 1989 loss against ASV at RG was more painful.
Good to be back. I have all this time on my hands (and fingers) being home on disability all day- I'm back on the Blast and check for updates regularly.

I agree, Sabatini had a great game plan, stuck to it, and kind of surprised Graf a little by continuing to move forward instead of her usual heavy topspin baseline game, hitting many shots off her back foot 10 or more feet behind the baseline. It took balls to be frank. While I thoroughly enjoyed Graf's drubbing of Sabatini a few weeks later at Zurich, she just didn't get used to Gaby at the net all the time at the 90 USO, let alone her penchant for drop volleys (many of which weren't that good- sitters really). No excuses, but it wasn't a good match from Graf at all.

I think my favorite all-time shot from Graf was at Wimbledon 91 on match point against Sabatini- a rifle forehand inside-out for a winner which landed relatively short in the court for a ball with that kind of pace. Gaby was well positioned at the net, but had no play at all. It gave me goosebumps then and still does today.