TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

View Single Post

Old Nov 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #58
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
Yes you're right, she certainly needs to learn to deal. It's the short turnaround when she has to play opponents she has difficulty with - i.e. Vika, Bartoli. It's as if she needs a supreme effort to focus for those matches, and if she can't get the focus the physical issues follow. Perhaps there even was a physical issue as you say, and that compounded the inability to focus. Negative feedback loop!!
The thing that makes me think it might be something physical was that it happened in her match against Dulko at RG as well. There was no short turnaround there, she'd had 2 full days to recover (as if that was necessary) from thrashing Halep in the 2nd round. Dulko also shouldn't have been a difficult opponent for her. Although she'd dropped her first set against her in Madrid, she took the next two sets 2 and 2, so seemed to have worked out how to play her. She just played absolutely horrible tennis in Paris. It was very much like her Istanbul match against Vika, I had the impression she had almost lost control of her basic motor functions, especially on her forehand. I only can't come up with a common thread connecting those two matches. Maybe there is none, and she just got up on the wrong side of the bed both days. If that's the case maybe the only thing she can do is come up with an emergency plan for getting through matches when her game is not on. Of course she's never going to beat a quality opponent like Vika playing like that, but I can't help feeling that if she'd cut down her UE count against Dulko that might have been enough to get her across the line.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote