TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

View Single Post

Old Nov 9th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #47
country flag Dazza01

Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold Dazza01 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

I'm sorry I am late to the party - I got sick, had Uni and other commitments, and couldn't find the best shirt - jeans combination to wear. But then I remembered I was attending a Samantha Jane Stosur party, and just threw on a nice white shirt and simple jeans.

1) What was Sam's best win of the year?

It's hard to go past the final of the US Open. She was incredible, and now she has a Grand Slam title, which no-one can take away from her.

But I actually think her win against Zvonareva in Stuttgart really started turning things around for her, and again, her win against Zvonareva on a grass court with the wind blowing was awesome too.

2) What was Sam's worst loss of the year

I actually half-expected Sam to lose to Czink - so I would have to say Dulko at the French.

3) What fictional character does Sam remind you of?

I actually cannot think of one character that Sam reminds me of completely; rather, she has aspects of different characters. (I just think Sam is really unique, so that's why I'm having a hard time.)

If I had to say who reminds me of Sam the most, it would have to be Jackie from "Nurse Jackie". I don't know why though, maybe the no nonsense attitude, and the tough façade, (with Sam, that façade is literal; the muscles! ) but underneath, they are really nice.

4) If you had to describe Sam's year in the form of a song, which song would it be?

(Okay, I have to explain this. I see this song as her asking them - the people expecting her to fall, or not live up to hype, or some Australian's saying she'll never win a grand slam - what they want from her. And the first part of the chorus comes true - she worked it out. )

(Well, it sounds good to me - but it is 2 am Sydney time. )

5) What was Sam's most under-rated win of the year?

I think her win over Schiavone in Rome was pretty significant. I know they met a couple of times after the French Open, but Sam absolutely dominated her conqueror on the surface she was beaten on and in Schiavone's hometown.

It was pretty impressive, for me.

6) Which of Sam's losses were you most impressed with?

Her losses against Kvitova were right up there, particularly at the YEC.

7) What part of Sam's game has improved most throughout the year?

Her movement and, by*****, her defence. It really won her the US Open this year.

8) What would you like to see Sam work on in the future?

Her ability to turn defence into attack - often, when she is forced to defend, she cannot get herself into an attacking position again. I think if she improves that (and her backhand too) she has a wonderful shot at making top 3, or even #1.

9) What's the one match you wish Sam had won, that she didn't?

Against Goerges in Stuttgart - I think she would have won the title had she got through that match.

10) What do you predict in 2012 for Sam (ranking, tournmanets, H2Hs with particular players etc.)?

I think she has a chance, as I said before, of getting a higher ranking, and snagging a few more GS titles. But the thing I really see her doing is winning more regular WTA tournaments - if she keeps her form up, she should have a couple more titles next year than this year.

(But... you know... if she only wins one title next year, and it's a GS... I'll be happy with that again. )

(ETA: The bleeped out word is pr0xy. That's strange, would anyone know why this is censored?)

Amélie Mauresmo - Samantha Stosur

Last edited by Dazza01 : Nov 9th, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Dazza01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote