TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

View Single Post

Old Nov 7th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #22
country flag skymnos

skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice
Re: Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite
I know I'm just a hopelessly biased fanboy, but I'm surprised that I'm the only one so far predicting Sam will crack the top 2 next year. A lot of people (not just on this thread) are predicting that she'll win RG next year, and most see her as a legitimate contender (though obviously not the favorite) for the AO as well. The extra points Sam would gain if she won just one of those two titles is almost exactly equal to her current rankings deficit with respect to the top 2. Factoring in the modest number of points she is defending in general in the first half of the year, I think there is a real chance that she could peak at no. 2 or even no. 1 next year. Because she's got her USO points to defend she probably won't end the year ranked that high, but I think she could certainly have a stint at or close to the top of the rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre
Nice. Of course what you say is mathematically true. I think Sam has the game to be number 1 or 2 (Navratilova has said this too, by the way), but does she have the other intangibles? Does she want it enough? Is she competitive enough? Does she have enough of the killer instict? I'm not sure. Also, she often doesn't react in the expected way - i.e. she is just as likely to feel extra pressure because she has no points to defend! (All this blab is just to ensure that I don't get my hopes too high...)
I think it's definately possible to reach the top 2 in the first half of 2012, considering defending points, her game and her performance lately. But can she do it? Siderophyre is right. Our aspirations are our possibilities. If she really wants to reach the world No 1 and win a few more slams, she certainly has the potential to do so. And her willingness, her attitude and her competitiveness the past few months show that if she doesn't have the killer instinct yet, she is closer to it than ever.

I can't wait for 2012!
skymnos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote