TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

View Single Post

Old Nov 4th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #20
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
Nice. Of course what you say is mathematically true. I think Sam has the game to be number 1 or 2 (Navratilova has said this too, by the way), but does she have the other intangibles? Does she want it enough? Is she competitive enough? Does she have enough of the killer instict? I'm not sure. Also, she often doesn't react in the expected way - i.e. she is just as likely to feel extra pressure because she has no points to defend! (All this blab is just to ensure that I don't get my hopes too high...)

I'm sure all us hopelessly biased fanboys on here will be pissing ourselves if what you have predicted actually comes to pass.
Well, considering the fact that we were all hoping for Sam to improve her ranking in Tokyo and Beijing this year because she was not defending any points there, I guess your caution might be wise. But as long as she has an even halfway decent Australian and US hardcourt season I don't think it's unrealistic for her go into RG ranked 4 or higher. If she could then go on to win the title (big if I know, but a lot of people more knowledgable than me seem to think she's got a decent chance) I can't see how she could fail to reach the no. 2 spot at least. She would be holder of 2 of the 4 slam titles for heaven sake! But of course if she bombs out early again at both the AO and RG this is all going to have been idle speculation.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote