TennisForum.com - View Single Post - FIRST NAMES - Help Needed

View Single Post

Old Oct 24th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #31
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all
Re: FIRST NAMES - Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Friesen View Post
I suspect the Therese Villard de Kermel connection is correct but have no proof (yet!)

In the meantime I've found a picture of Mlle de Kermel
http://www.chansons-net.com/tennis/a.../france-2.html

the text says:
-there are 3 entries in 1897
-only 1 entry in 1898
-in 1900 Prevost wins the final by w/o - [presumably this means Masson did not defend but does not necessarily mean that that Prevost played no matches to get to the final]
-in 1901 there are only 3 entries [Girod, Leroux, and Prevost] but only one match is played since Prevost defaults the [challenge round] final
-in 1907 there are only 3 entries [presumably de Kermel, d'Elva, and GillouFenwick] but only one set is played when d'Elva retires after losing the first set 6-1, and then the finalist [presumably GillouFenwick] does not show for the [challenge round] final
-to drum up interest, the magazine Femina does a feature on K GillouFenwick
Interesting. I wonder what sources were used by Bruno, the guy who runs/ran that site? It was clear anyway that very few players took part in the Closed French Championships in the early years.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote