TennisForum.com - View Single Post - barker vs evert and austin question....

View Single Post

Old Oct 8th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #24
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all
Re: barker vs evert and austin question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Horvath View Post
Chris played very well in that Fed Cup match against Sue. Sometimes Chris upped her game when playing for her country. Sue didnt seem to play badly but the scoreline looks dreadful! Still liking Sue's play though - bearing in mind both are playing with wood - crunching the ball a lot. Great to see these matches - as at the time I dont think this was shown on UK tv! Have the UK been near the Fed Cup final since? I dont think so!
I agree, I don't think this was shown in the UK, a country which thinks that tennis began when Queen's Club began and ended when Wimbledon ended! I was not even aware that Britain had reached the final of the Federation Cup (which, at that time, was considered very inferior to the far more classy Whiteman Cup!). Whereas I did know that the UK reached the final of the Davis Cup, where they lost to the USA (1979?). I agree that Sue showed some nice tennis, while the score looks dreadful. I can imagine Chris having a good sn-igger when she heard the surface would be green clay, while the fact that Sue had once dared to beat her (in 1979, when she was basically losing to anyone capable of holding a racket) meant that the Ice Maiden was definitely going to do her outmost to humiliate this "inferior British model" of C. M. Evert...

But gotta love Sue's forehands, overheads and good racket preparation!
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote