TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Camila Giorgi Cheering Thread!!

View Single Post

Old Oct 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM   #772
country flag Gasquetrules

Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all
Re: Camila Giorgi Cheering Thread!!

This is all a tough thing to comment on, since I know so very little. I've seen Camila and her father at two tournaments. I don't know anything about his tennis background, but he seems to understand the game pretty well. Did he ever play at a high level when he was younger? I know this: almost all tennis players who get into the game and become very good at it do it because they had a parent who loved the game and introduced their child to it and then either coached them (and spent thousands of hours doing so) while the child was developing, or they had the money to pay other people to coach and develop the child. Chirs Evert, Jimmy Connors, Andre Agassi,Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters and so many more players come to mind. It's not always a father. Sometimes it is a mother, as it was with Connors and probably Andy Murray. So it's hard to criticize any parent who develops their child into a tennis player. Could other people do it better? No doubt, experienced professionals probably could. But that takes a lot of money, and unless a family is wealthy the only way this can happen is for the child to be exceptionally talented and earn a free ride at one of the tennis academies. I thought perhaps this was the case with Camila when I first saw her, probably training out of a Florida tennis school and playing ITF tournaments in the Southeast to gain experience. I know Camila's father is devoting his life to his daughter to turn her into a professional. He is making many personal and financial sacrifices, certainly. Without him I'm sure she wouldn't be doing what she's doing now. I can only say that I hope she can keep moving up in the rankings and begin winning on the WTA level and become financially secure. I know she is very close.
Gasquetrules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote