TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Camila Giorgi Cheering Thread!!

View Single Post

Old Sep 30th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #766
country flag Gasquetrules

Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all Gasquetrules is a name known to all
Re: Camila Giorgi Cheering Thread!!

50 grand isn't much money for two people to live on -- especially traveling on the road all the time, eating out every meal, etc. He may also pay for hitting partners for her at times. Remember she made the trip to Wimbledon, stayed in London. That's not cheap. Neither is staying in New York City for a week for qualifying there.

I'm not a real expert on tennis talent, especially the women's game. But clearly, Camila has limitations: she's on the small side; and she has to go for a lot on her serve or the good players will crush it if she just rolls it in. When she serves well, she is capable of fantastic tennis. But when she's missing that aggressive second serve, she is very vulnerable. That's how she lost the final in Raleigh to Rampre. Camila's serve was poor. (Her dad said she woke up very stiff that day and never loosened up). And Rampre served the match of her life. Her assets are that she is incredibly fit (at least by looking at her,one would think this) and she plays great in the clutch, seemingly fearless tennis and usually coming through. But one has to wonder how far this can take her.

I became a fan of the women on the challenger circuit after watching how hard they battle for these wins -- which mean the world to them, their whole future! And for so little money. To me the drama seems more intense for the challengers than it is for the women on the WTA circuit, most of whom are financially secure -- at least for the near future. I could well imagine the incredible stresses that Camila and her father must deal with on a daily and weekly basis, not only winning matches but just staying on the road.

Perhaps she should have applied for US citizenship so she could get the support of the USTA. I know Irina Falconi is originally from Ecuador, but is a US citizen now and benefits from USTA support. Is there any support for Camila from an Italian national tennis organization?

Whatever, I think Camila is having a terrific year, and it would be a terrible shame for her not to continue on as professional.
Gasquetrules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote