TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Greatest womens tennis player of all time

View Single Post

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #15
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greatest womens tennis player of all time

I am going to go with Court. She was dominating womens tennis in 1962 and still in 1973, both years which she won 3 of 4 slams. Nobody has ever been the dominant player that long, albeit with brief periods amongst she was either retired or someone was temporarily better. She matches Graf with five years of 3 slams or more, but considering Graf had three 3 slam years after the Seles stabbing, it would be a minor miracle if she still reached 5 under normal circumstances (and no I am not one of those who thinks Seles would have kept dominating had she not been stabbed either so please dont indulge me in that). It would have been interesting had there been some major events on hard courts back then. I honestly think with her all around game hard courts would have been Court's best surface. There was arguably never such a complete all court player who was equally comfortable at net, baseline, midcourt, anywhere, other than quite possibly the great Suzanne Lenglen.

That plus I am pretty sure nearly everyone will go with Graf or Navratilova, so I figure Evert or Court deserve an extra vote.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote