TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Greatest womens tennis player of all time

View Single Post

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greatest womens tennis player of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
It is interesting to wonder how much the emergence of Wills Moody had to do with Lenglen's decision to turn pro. I am certainly not implying she couldnt have competed with Wills, she won their only match after all. Just that Suzanne was used to winning every match she played, I am not sure how she felt about the prospect of having a close challenger.

Perhaps it was also her health issues which sadly took her life at only 39, which had her leave "amateur" tennis sooner. Especialy perhaps thinking she had better make money as a pro while she was still physically able to even play.
While that is an interesting theory, I don't doubt money was her main motivation. I read she wanted financial security (perhaps the wealth to match her fame?) which she wasn't getting from Grand Slams. When she did turn pro she was the first woman to ever get equal billing with a man during her professional tournaments. Even today, women don't often get equal billing/attention outside the 2nd week of a Grand Slam.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote