TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Greatest womens tennis player of all time

View Single Post

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #9
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greatest womens tennis player of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
I agree with these. Splitting it up like this really demonstrates what a subjective and nebulous concept greatness is.

It really is completely up for debate as to who is the greatest.

It's also interesting how many * there are regarding those who aren't quite in the highest echelon (yet - possibly).
Seles - for her stabbing.
Connolly - for her horse-riding accident.
To a lesser extent Serena - her sister's murder which caused depression and had a huge affect on her mentality and game from 2004-2006.
Even Lenglen - if she hadn't turned professional, had played the USO, AO etc.
It is interesting to wonder how much the emergence of Wills Moody had to do with Lenglen's decision to turn pro. I am certainly not implying she couldnt have competed with Wills, she won their only match after all. Just that Suzanne was used to winning every match she played, I am not sure how she felt about the prospect of having a close challenger.

Perhaps it was also her health issues which sadly took her life at only 39, which had her leave "amateur" tennis sooner. Especialy perhaps thinking she had better make money as a pro while she was still physically able to even play.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote