TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Sofa-coaching: Match Review and Discussions 2011 Edition

View Single Post

Old Jul 15th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #81
country flag wiwa

wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all wiwa is a name known to all
Re: Sofa-coaching: Match Review and Discussions 2011 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
I'm not sure what you meant by this?

About the arm being too bent...It is true that sometimes players (not just Flavia) do that especially when they don't have enough time to get into proper position. They are however pros so they can rotate their upper body and get power and balance from their legs to generate enough pace on their swing. Based from those pics, I don't think arm is that close when hitting the shot. Notice how her elbow is not touching her body? Anyways, I'll try to watch more closely the next time I watch her match. It's hard to tell accurately from a few pics.

As for her long arms, the key is to move your legs fast enough to get into the proper position so the ball wouldn't be too close to your body. Having long arms should be good for a tennis player as it gives them more reach.
full streched forehand = she runs to the ball, hardly reaches it, and yet cracks a winner with quite some pace. I suppose it has sth. to do with the stretch.

standing forehand = not running, time to position yourself to the ball and bend your knees. For some reason she struggles to get pace on those shots, while it looks so easy for Roberta and many other players of her size.

I see that her elbow does not touch the body. I compared it with pics of Julia Görges, who has a quite streched swing, so I thought the strech makes a good forehand.

long arms = long reach. @myself

Yeah, you can have a look. I find it interesting. Then we can advise Flavia via twitter